Anyone play an instrument?

I do not play accordion...yet. That's my project after I retire.

I figure if I can't annoy someone with a bodhran, I'll grab a banjo, and if that doesn't do it, then I'll assault their eardrums with bagpipes, and if that isn't enough, I'll finish them off with some accordion! :laugh:

True story, my sister in law ( the bitch) took lessons many years ago, didn't last long, she kept breaking wind. Got embarrassing. Something to do with pressure?

Russ

I was my Boy Scout Troop Bugler. The crap I had to put up with from the other scouts! Hiding the bugle, taking the mouth piece and stuffing it with socks. Reveille was not welcome!

You were a scout?? My son when he was about 10 wanted to join Cubs but there was a long waiting list. The head of the den was on my school committee, so I asked if I could get him in straight away. Long story short they were short of scout masters, I volunteered to get my son in, had to do a course and pass a police check. Son got into Cubs and I got to help out the scouts, two weeks later son quit, said it was boring. Things you do for your kids huh??

Russ

Here, I just recorded this about 15 minutes ago:
View: https://youtu.be/z8PFtunfUfs

Mandolin is not my primary instrument! :laugh:
Tasty, that was quite... tasty. Enjoyed.

I played handbells in high school. I have a guitar here that is a nice one, and am looking (sometime this summer) to take lessons. I used to have a cheap one in college, and an instructor then, but she didn't want to play or teach anything interesting. There's only so much of "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley" one can take... I got to play that well, but nothing progressed interest-wise beyond that. Yes, I know you have to walk before you can fly, but I felt I was crawling then. And I didn't have my own wheels to find a different instructor at that time.

Tasty, that was quite... tasty. Enjoyed.

I played handbells in high school. I have a guitar here that is a nice one, and am looking (sometime this summer) to take lessons. I used to have a cheap one in college, and an instructor then, but she didn't want to play or teach anything interesting. There's only so much of "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley" one can take... I got to play that well, but nothing progressed interest-wise beyond that. Yes, I know you have to walk before you can fly, but I felt I was crawling then. And I didn't have my own wheels to find a different instructor at that time.
Thanks!

I've given a fair amount of lessons, and one thing I've done that not every does is ask during the first meeting, "Tell me three songs you'd really like to play/sing," and that gives me a fair idea of what a person is interested in and whether I'm the right instructor for the student, because contrary to popular belief, there really isn't one "guitar teacher" model - if you're into '70's California-sound singer-songwriter stuff, there's no point in wasting money on a jazz-heavy instructor.

Thanks!

I've given a fair amount of lessons, and one thing I've done that not every does is ask during the first meeting, "Tell me three songs you'd really like to play/sing," and that gives me a fair idea of what a person is interested in and whether I'm the right instructor for the student, because contrary to popular belief, there really isn't one "guitar teacher" model - if you're into '70's California-sound singer-songwriter stuff, there's no point in wasting money on a jazz-heavy instructor.
Our son in primary school he had the option of learning music. We joined him up, the guy that took the money was very good at taking money. That was where it stopped.

Russ

As my uncle used to say, "I can play anything...on the radio." :laugh:
My father had a similar line. All of his kids were somewhat musically inclined and whenever people asked where we got it from my dad used to say "Don't look at me. I can't even play the radio"..We benefited from parents that promoted music in the house with instruments of all kinds at birthdays and xmas...back in the 60's and 70's they were very social with parties every weekend and they would drag us along or have people over...people used to give us money to keep playing as the adults were partying and having a ball...I was performing in front of people at eight years old...My older brother dragged me around to sing in his band...drums came little later after they kicked the drummer out for fooling around with one of the other guys girlfriends...I got double duty and have been drumming and carrying the bulk of the singing ever since..

My father had a similar line. All of his kids were somewhat musically inclined and whenever people asked where we got it from my dad used to say "Don't look at me. I can't even play the radio"..We benefited from parents that promoted music in the house with instruments of all kinds at birthdays and xmas...back in the 60's and 70's they were very social with parties every weekend and they would drag us along or have people over...people used to give us money to keep playing as the adults were partying and having a ball...I was performing in front of people at eight years old...My older brother dragged me around to sing in his band...drums came little later after they kicked the drummer out for fooling around with one of the other guys girlfriends...I got double duty and have been drumming and carrying the bulk of the singing ever since..

My dad's background is Engineering. He never understood why I had so much trouble with math, like algebra and trigonometry. He always thought I was lazy. It wasn't until I was an adult, with a college degree in Art, that he "got it." He saw my work, and knew he couldn't do it to save his life.

He also can't sing or play any kind of music, which I could do.

CD

My dad's background is Engineering. He never understood why I had so much trouble with math, like algebra and trigonometry. He always thought I was lazy. It wasn't until I was an adult, with a college degree in Art, that he "got it." He saw my work, and knew he couldn't do it to save his life.

He also can't sing or play any kind of music, which I could do.

CD

My mum used to say to me often, I don't know where you got your brains from? I don't know why she would say that, I've always been clever and confident. She couldn't believe when I opened up a shop and would repeat it again. She seemed to forget my dads father was an accountant, my great grandfather was a very successful plumber. Somehow I got my genes from them I guess??

Russ

I have played guitar since I was about 12. I play bass guitar as well...I’ve played in bands, played for my girlfriends, probably annoyed a lot of people and charmed a few others. Good luck with the bass. It’s a great instrument. I like it almost more than guitar because you are always playing a moving line, yet you are still establishing rhythm. I really love playing bass.

Thanks!

Yes, this is the sort of instructor I'm looking to find!!! I hope to start looking this summer!

I tried playing the mandolin once and took a great chunk out of my index finger. Other than that I play the kazoo and the fool.

1619502013951.png

Back
Top Bottom