Anyone play an instrument?

I play several instruments and have worked as a musician off and on over the last 35 years or so. Now I'm in an "off" period until retirement.

Guitar (acoustic and electric), bass (upright and electric), banjo (bluegrass and clawhammer/frailing), mandolin...varying degrees of proficiency with those, though guitar is my primary instrument.

Keyboards...I have a hard time working the two hands together, so the only occasions I've ever done any keyboard parts have been in a recording setting, and I had to do the two hands separately. :laugh:

Drums...I can manage a basic rock/pop beat and just about keep it going with a simple fill or two. I've felt pretty comfortable the very few times I've sat behind a kit, to the point that I could gladly buy some drums, but if I did that, I'd be looking for new living arrangements.

I also had a short six week course in playing bodhran, and I took bagpipe lessons for quite a while before a relocation ended that.

After I retire, I fully intend to pick up the accordion.
Goodness, fascinating to read how musically versatile you are! Wonderful!

I can play tje organ and harpsichord, as they are closely related to piano.

But no other instrument so far.

I have a djembe drum at home, learned some basic strokes to accompany a friend's fitness group workout open air, years before Covid...that'd be fun to improve.

Have a wooden and a plastic block flute, intended to learn basics over Winter break, then earthquakes hit us and I was shattered with basic anxiety. But maybe summer break, or retirement 😎

:okay: Sorry, I'm not keeping up!

Who's on first?

I used to be a drummer. I had a pristine Slingerland Buddy Rich kit. It got the Deep Purple Smoke on the Water death. It burned in a fire in a building where I was playing. It was an arson -- it was never clear why the guy set the fire.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 9.25.30 AM.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikGyZh0VbPQ

CD

I played the clarinet and piano when I was in school. I haven't done much of either since then. If I had the money and space I would have liked to revisit playing the piano.

It's cool that your buddy will loan you his bass.

P.S. You freaked me out with the tarantula farm. LOL

That sparks some ideas, possibly some of our members are very good in digital montage, those montage audio/video clips of songs of people recording something at home and then unite in a joint song have been on the rise during Covid...
Shall we attempt ?

Something like this, does not have to be this exact song of course...😊

View: https://youtu.be/V7-Nxgwa2iM

Last edited:
That sparks some ideas, possibly some of our members are very good in digital montage, those montage audio/video clips of songs of people recording something at home and then unite in a joint song have been on the rise during Covid...
Shall we attempt ?

Something like this, does not have to be this exact song of course...😊

View: https://youtu.be/V7-Nxgwa2iM
mjd is a Chicago gal, so she's got to sing lead. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom