Anyone play an instrument?

I started with a guitar. I was competent, but not amazing. Got drums. That was my natural thing. I was pretty good. Not great. I figured since I could play a guitar I could play a banjo. First rule of learning the banjo is nothing you know about playing a guitar applies to the banjo. Never really got the hang of it. Friend of mine gave me a lap steel. I loved that thing. Had kids and instruments got less and less time. Sold the drums to free up space. Gave one of my daughters one of my guitars. She is pretty good. Self taught. I have not picked up an instrument in years.

I started with a guitar. I was competent, but not amazing. Got drums. That was my natural thing. I was pretty good. Not great. I figured since I could play a guitar I could play a banjo. First rule of learning the banjo is nothing you know about playing a guitar applies to the banjo. Never really got the hang of it. Friend of mine gave me a lap steel. I loved that thing. Had kids and instruments got less and less time. Sold the drums to free up space. Gave one of my daughters one of my guitars. She is pretty good. Self taught. I have not picked up an instrument in years.
I've tried playing pedal steel and just could not make sense of it at all.

Who's on first?

I used to be a drummer. I had a pristine Slingerland Buddy Rich kit. It got the Deep Purple Smoke on the Water death. It burned in a fire in a building where I was playing. It was an arson -- it was never clear why the guy set the fire.

View attachment 61543

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikGyZh0VbPQ

CD

My first album along with j Joplin. I worked with a drummer in 73 74 who played in a band, even produced records. I decided I was going to be a drummer, BUT I had no coordination, sold the kit about a month later. I have no musical or playing ability. However I can listen to a song and say if it will be a hit. Predicted so many just after listening once. My wife grew up with a piano in their house, most of her brothers play piano. My wife knows a wee bit.
My kids have inherited my gift of nil ability.
I admire people with the gift.

Russ

I went to a music oriented school in the 70's-80's (when we had moved to Lahti), sang in the choir (= opened my mouth without singing), took piano classes (12-13 years in total) and music theory at the conservatory until I was 17 and couldn't care less. On 5th grade (being as competitive as today), I won a national interscholar music composition contest with a boring tune to a given poem and got 300 Finnish Marks (some 50 Euros). Bite that. Hubby used to play the clarinet and go to the same school but surprisingly we don't remember each other from that time. Hubby's clarinet is sadly rotten and forgotten. RA has made wider piano fingerings and quick playing impossible, so nowadays I just tap a few simple tunes and listen to our local, award-winning orchestra (boy do I miss classical concerts!) Spotify or our daughter playing her violin, electric or acoustic guitar, piano, balalaika, fipple flute or else. She studies music and makes all kinds of recordings, arrangements and adaptations with modern equipment. Our older one took cembalo classes. We can't afford nor have room for a genuine cembalo/harpsichord so he played/plays an electric keyboard. We have a traditional piano at home and at the countryside.

Last edited:
My first album along with j Joplin. I worked with a drummer in 73 74 who played in a band, even produced records. I decided I was going to be a drummer, BUT I had no coordination, sold the kit about a month later. I have no musical or playing ability. However I can listen to a song and say if it will be a hit. Predicted so many just after listening once. My wife grew up with a piano in their house, most of her brothers play piano. My wife knows a wee bit.
My kids have inherited my gift of nil ability.
I admire people with the gift.

Russ

Janis Joplin was from Port Arthur. She went to the same High School that I went to -- years apart, of course.

CD

Hey, all..great thread..I've been a drummer since the 60's when I got my first kit at the age of 10...love the vintage stuff..Here is my current drum kit, which is a 60's Gretsch...This photo is from the drum shop the day I picked them up last year..I haven't taken a better one...

I don't take these ones out to play as they are considered collectors grade..seems crazy, I know...I have another kit from the 60's that I take out if we ever play out again..we've been recording during the pandemic..maybe I'll post some stuff..glad to be back..

Hey, all..great thread..I've been a drummer since the 60's when I got my first kit at the age of 10...love the vintage stuff..Here is my current drum kit, which is a 60's Gretsch...This photo is from the drum shop the day I picked them up last year..I haven't taken a better one...

I don't take these ones out to play as they are considered collectors grade..seems crazy, I know...I have another kit from the 60's that I take out if we ever play out again..we've been recording during the pandemic..maybe I'll post some stuff..glad to be back..

View attachment 61568
View attachment 61570
Would love to hear👍😊

Hi Rock. I didn't know you were a member here. That Gretsch kit looks a lot like the Marine Pearl finish on my old Slingerland Buddy Rich kit (RIP).

CD
Hey Casey..I've been here for a while..haven't contributed in a long time, but I've been lurking..I'll try and chime in a bit more..
I'd love to get my hands on a Slingy kit but they are like hen's teeth up here in Canada..I've also downsized my home so I only have s small drum room now, can barely fit the two drum kits and a shelf full of other drum related stuff in there..poor me..keeps me from spending too much money on drum gear, I guess..

Back
Top Bottom