Anyone play an instrument?

That's a good photo of her. I saw plenty where she didn't look that great, but probably after she started drug bingeing...I dunno. I can say I sound nothing like her, though.

I think you are a lot better looking from what I can see in your avatar photo. Its was probably the hair which made the connection in my mind.

I haven't played the drums in a good 15 years. I'm sure I would suck now.

BTW, working with photos on the iMac is easy. It wouldn't take you long to learn.

CD
I was never a good drummer...Just good enough..it was my singing that gets me into bands..I started out as a lead singer, then bar bands dumped singers back in the 80's..I had to play an instrument..
I've googled instructions for photos a few times..I've never had luck..

I was never a good drummer...Just good enough.
I was always a reluctant lead guitarist - I never liked being anywhere near the front, but I’ve never been any any band that could afford two guitarists. :laugh:

As to singing, I have an ok voice…for some things. What always made people keep me around for vocals is that I have a pretty good ear for harmony, which is really probably the thing I enjoying working on the most musically, so I always ended up figuring out the harmony lines for the guys who actually could sing.

Hometown girl. She graduated from the same High School that I did.

CD
Yes, we know. You posted it earlier in this thread (but I knew before that).

Same high school my parents, aunts, uncles and cousins went to, but you already know that!

I spent over 8 months applying for jobs which involved music, after I graduated. I went for interviews at universities, colleges, schools, editorials; nothing. I recall one interview with a music publisher.The guy nearly blew my head off because I didn´t know enough about his pathetic little company, and then offered me a monthly salary which would probably have covered less than half of my beer money.
That´s when I said " Bol***ks - I need a job that pays me money" - and found a job teaching English as a foreign language.
Good move, because I´m still doing it!

My youngest has decided he wants to study music in college. I told him it's pretty useless as far as looking for future work but you know what teenagers are like.

My youngest has decided he wants to study music in college. I told him it's pretty useless as far as looking for future work but you know what teenagers are like.
I studied music in college but it wasn't my major.

Here are my current drum kits.
60’s Gretsch Progressive Jazz
60’s Gretcsh Name Band
New Ludwig Classic Maples

Nothing is useless. NEVER destroy your kid´s illusions, but make it very clear that, if he is not focussed, he will not be successful.
I studied with a guy who played guitar. From the East End of London. He actually learned to play the lute, and we gave concerts at college - John Dowland Lute Songs.
This guy graduated with a 2:1.
He then went on to work as a session guitarist.
In 1981, Paul McCartney and Wings brought him on board as lead guitar.
He´s now a millionaire and lives in LA.

You can make a living at it, but it’s certainly not a traditional vocation. I’ve done it twice, and you usually end up working a few different music-related jobs, and occasionally a “proper” day job as well - there’s a reason I don’t do it now. 😬

I know 6 people who decided that music was their future.
1 made it.
The rest are...
2builders,
1 I.t bloke
1 P. E. teacher
a welder.
Not a massive call for it around here but he knows that if that's what he goes for, his mum and dad will help as much as we can.

To add to that, a lot of people get stuck on the idea that success in music equals Top 40 rock/pop/country star, and anything other than that means you’ve failed at having a career in music.

I’d wager that for the majority of people who make a living at it, live public performance is a small bite of the apple. I cobbled together a living giving lessons, doing studio work, as a writing background music for corporate work, etc. I even earned a few bucks as a consultant of sorts, when people wanted my help choosing an instrument and didn’t want to get bamboozled by a music store salesperson, some of whom could teach a used car salesman a trick or two about underhanded dealing.

You can make a living at it, but it’s certainly not a traditional vocation. I’ve done it twice, and you usually end up working a few different music-related jobs, and occasionally a “proper” day job as well - there’s a reason I don’t do it now. 😬
It can also be hard to maintain a relationship if traveling on the road, I would imagine.

Not musical really but have always been surrounded by people that are... at school helped a friend and their band that got a little of national coverage... at university did much more for a local band and a pseudo label doing artwork for CDs, getting sponsorship for gigs etc, they got a fair amount of national radio coverage and invited to several large festivals but never made it (live and recorded was totally different)

I've been interviewing recently which is funny as in the background is a ukulele, guitar, quatro, bongos, djembe and various other hand percussion instruments, and all but one interview has asked if I am really into music but I've had to admit the are all the wife's

Back
Top Bottom