Apple v. Android

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
6:57 PM
[Mod.Edit: This post and following few posts moved to form new topic (MG).]

Got myself a new smartphone that arrived yesterday. I may be a millennial but smartphones are one thing I just can't wrap my mind around, I don't get this concept of a phone that connects to the internet and lets you watch movies and take high definition photos but completely sucks at basic tasks like making phone calls and sending text messages! I had to watch a video tutorial to learn how to turn the cellphone off and back on, because the off button turns on the Google assistant! I don't want the google assistant! And my text messages were mixed with my facebook messages and I couldn't configure the text messages app! And since I got the phone yesterday it already had 6 software updates and had to be charged 2 times! How come a new phone needs so many software updates??? And I bet the first time I drop it to the floor it will crack. I need Google apps on my phone because of my job and I do like using social media on my phone otherwise I would never have a smartphone I prefer an old school phone with a battery that lasts a week, and that doesn't crack if you accidentally throw it out the window of the 4th floor. But this is what we're stuck with nowadays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got myself a new smartphone that arrived yesterday. I may be a millennial but smartphones are one thing I just can't wrap my mind around, I don't get this concept of a phone that connects to the internet and lets you watch movies and take high definition photos but completely sucks at basic tasks like making phone calls and sending text messages! I had to watch a video tutorial to learn how to turn the cellphone off and back on, because the off button turns on the Google assistant! I don't want the google assistant! And my text messages were mixed with my facebook messages and I couldn't configure the text messages app! And since I got the phone yesterday it already had 6 software updates and had to be charged 2 times! How come a new phone needs so many software updates??? And I bet the first time I drop it to the floor it will crack. I need Google apps on my phone because of my job and I do like using social media on my phone otherwise I would never have a smartphone I prefer an old school phone with a battery that lasts a week, and that doesn't crack if you accidentally throw it out the window of the 4th floor. But this is what we're stuck with nowadays!
Seconded. Right after I've got to know all the gizmos and settings of a new phone, the battery or the display/screen starts to monkey around and the repairment/spare part costs a zillion (or is not available) - so off I go and buy a new phone. The data secondments/transfers (from an old phone/cloud service to a new one), updates, apps, synchros, backups and malfunctions make me sick - and I hate messing around with phone calls; sliding them into view and keeping up with all the interleaves/tabs (while e.g. using an app or sending a pdf simultaneously) with my crooked RA fingers. In addition my eyesight is deteriorating so I have to have my glasses handy. Grr. I grew up with Commodore 64's and disc dialling phones. This hectic technological flow and advancement is intriguing and partly very convenient - but drives me crazy too.

I love my apple I phone. I do all my banking on it between my UK banks and Croatian banks. How cool is scan and pay. Also I love that my finger print is my primary log in to the phone and banks.

I love my apple I phone. I do all my banking on it between my UK banks and Croatian banks. How cool is scan and pay. Also I love that my finger print is my primary log in to the phone and banks.

Which one do you have? I'm toying with the idea of getting one as I use a MacBook Pro and could upload photos straight to iCloud rather than transferring from android (iPhones have great cameras as well as Samsung which I currently use).

My previous smartphone was an Iphone 7 and I liked how flawless the software worked, but I think it's an overpriced phone for the features it offers. I now have an Huawei P30 Pro, software also works well and it cost me about 300€ less than a new iPhone. By the way the camera on my Huawei phone is supposed to be top of the market and it's definitely better than the camera on the iPhone 11 line, but I really don't care about the camera, I wanted reliable software and good battery life. I also have the fingerprint option and I use it to authorize my bank payments along with other things.

By the way I really struggled to learn how to use the iPhone when I first got it. The first days were completely frustrating I couldn't do anything with the phone. Apple's user experience is very different to Android systems and all of the gestures and shortcuts are different.

My previous smartphone was an Iphone 7 and I liked how flawless the software worked, but I think it's an overpriced phone for the features it offers. I now have an Huawei P30 Pro, software also works well and it cost me about 300€ less than a new iPhone. By the way the camera on my Huawei phone is supposed to be top of the market and it's definitely better than the camera on the iPhone 11 line, but I really don't care about the camera, I wanted reliable software and good battery life. I also have the fingerprint option and I use it to authorize my bank payments along with other things.

By the way I really struggled to learn how to use the iPhone when I first got it. The first days were completely frustrating I couldn't do anything with the phone. Apple's user experience is very different to Android systems and all of the gestures and shortcuts are different.

I had an Ipod. I hated it every second of every day because Apple makes it darn near impossible to upload music. Recently, a friend's Iphone did an auto-update and locked her out. I tried everything under the sun to retrieve data off the card. She eventually took it to a retail store and they couldn't get it either. She lost EVERYTHING. She ended up having to buy another phone for $700.

I won't even get near an Apple product these days.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone and still debating to go back to Android.
My wife was using it one day and really liked it so I'm still debating maybe I have it all wrong.
It can act up and be frustrating at times. Only 11 months old.
In all the models I've owned Apple never cured the volume turning itself off problem. Also does not capture signal strength that well.
I've tried all the fixes. Even the Apple store wonders why.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone and still debating to go back to Android.
My wife was using it one day and really liked it so I'm still debating maybe I have it all wrong.
It can act up and be frustrating at times. Only 11 months old.
In all the models I've owned Apple never cured the volume turning itself off problem. Also does not capture signal strength that well.
I've tried all the fixes. Even the Apple store wonders why.

It's a mystery to me how some people get hooked on Apple products. To me the iPhone is good but far from outstanding and definitely overpriced. I have two friends and a couple colleagues who are hardcore Apple fans but they can't explain why. One of them convinced me to buy my first iPhone with the promise that he'd give me an android if I didn't like the iPhone but he didn't keep his promise :D

It's a mystery to me how some people get hooked on Apple products. To me the iPhone is good but far from outstanding and definitely overpriced. I have two friends and a couple colleagues who are hardcore Apple fans but they can't explain why. One of them convinced me to buy my first iPhone with the promise that he'd give me an android if I didn't like the iPhone but he didn't keep his promise :D
I'm not an Apple zealot by any means, but for me, it comes down to largely positive experiences with Apple. Dependable and easy, time and time again.

My first Apple product was their little wireless router (Air?). I'd had PC's my whole adult life, and when it came time to set up a home network, I bought the leading router, from Linksys. It claimed to have "one-button" setup.

That was a lie. It ended up taking several days to set up, including sitting on the phone for hours at a time with tech support. To this day, the single worst piece of equipment I've ever configured, and I used to do that for a living, so that's saying something.

Came time to replace it, and I mentioned not looking forward to that to my nephew, who happened to be a trainer with Apple.

"Just get one of our routers. Plug it in, turn your computer on, it'll find it, click connect, and it'll configure itself. You'll be online in less than five minutes."

Lo and behold, he was absolutely right. To this day, the easiest piece of equipment I've ever set up. :)

After that, if I needed something, and Apple made it, I bought it. Never had a problem.

I had a Blackberry through work. That thing was a maintenance nightmare. Never seemed to work when I needed it, updates were a pain, failed six times before they'd finally take, then the device wouldn't work right, and I couldn't see why everyone loved them.

Verizon started selling iPhones in what, 2007?...so that's when I got my first iPhone, a 4. Arrived in the mail, I opened the box, and I pressed one button, and it worked. Immediately. No muss, no fuss.

That's why I stick with iPhone. If I ever get "the next one" and it's suddenly a pain to set up, or it doesn't work, I'd have no issue switching to another phone, I don't have that singlemindedness that some people possess. I like it because, day in and day out, it works.

I do have the minor complaints about small changes with each OS upgrade, stuff like that, and apps I use not keeping up, but that's on the app, not the phone. They just upgraded iOS, and it's changed the way my phone interacts with CookingBites, actually, and it was a completely unnecessary change to me (they've reordered some menu choices when I upload photos - why???), but that's a minor inconvenience at worst.

It's like Tab Cola or Starbucks coffee. Yeah it sux but for some phenonominal reason we still buy it.

Our youngest enter University at 14. The College house mother told me it's the standard dorm room with 4 Chinese kids, a Jewish kid and one Scottish/Irish (ours) kid. Brilliant kids, mine getting it from his mom.
The kids all held your point of view about Apple.

Grandma Axe Handle (the you don't let the kids read or watch Harry Potter do you? Grandma) decided she wanted to switch to Apple PC.
It was three months of hell her getting the hang of it.
As strange as it seems finally there was a girl standing on a corner with a sign saying "Apple PC tutor."
Grandma Axe Handle hired her and it all turned around. She touts Apple like a cure for cancer.

I took the Apple Store Final Cut video editing seminar. First class started out with 23 people. Within 30 minutes the class was down to 2 and within 35 minutes I left the class and it was down to 1.
Amazingly complicated but our 10 year old grasped it and rolled with it immediately.
As user unfriendly as I've ever encountered but if you have a head for it a fantastic program.

Grandma Axe Handle (the you don't let the kids read or watch Harry Potter do you? Grandma) decided she wanted to switch to Apple PC.
It was three months of hell her getting the hang of it.
As strange as it seems finally there was a girl standing on a corner with a sign saying "Apple PC tutor."
Grandma Axe Handle hired her and it all turned around. She touts Apple like a cure for cancer.

I took the Apple Store Final Cut video editing seminar. First class started out with 23 people. Within 30 minutes the class was down to 2 and within 35 minutes I left the class and it was down to 1.
Amazingly complicated but our 10 year old grasped it and rolled with it immediately.
As user unfriendly as I've ever encountered but if you have a head for it a fantastic program.

Don't even get me started on Macbooks. The company I worked before only had Macbooks, I worked there for 6 months and was so grateful to get rid of that horrible thing. Couldn't figure out how to do anything, the interface is so weird and all the shortcuts are odd. Taking a screenshot was the worst - you had to hold the shift key, and the up key, and the ctrl key, and an offer of a black goat to the devil along with the soul of your first born. Needless to say I could never take a screenshot on a Macbook.

I'm not an Apple zealot by any means, but for me, it comes down to largely positive experiences with Apple. Dependable and easy, time and time again.

My first Apple product was their little wireless router (Air?). I'd had PC's my whole adult life, and when it came time to set up a home network, I bought the leading router, from Linksys. It claimed to have "one-button" setup.

That was a lie. It ended up taking several days to set up, including sitting on the phone for hours at a time with tech support. To this day, the single worst piece of equipment I've ever configured, and I used to do that for a living, so that's saying something.

Came time to replace it, and I mentioned not looking forward to that to my nephew, who happened to be a trainer with Apple.

"Just get one of our routers. Plug it in, turn your computer on, it'll find it, click connect, and it'll configure itself. You'll be online in less than five minutes."

Lo and behold, he was absolutely right. To this day, the easiest piece of equipment I've ever set up. :)

After that, if I needed something, and Apple made it, I bought it. Never had a problem.

I had a Blackberry through work. That thing was a maintenance nightmare. Never seemed to work when I needed it, updates were a pain, failed six times before they'd finally take, then the device wouldn't work right, and I couldn't see why everyone loved them.

Verizon started selling iPhones in what, 2007?...so that's when I got my first iPhone, a 4. Arrived in the mail, I opened the box, and I pressed one button, and it worked. Immediately. No muss, no fuss.

That's why I stick with iPhone. If I ever get "the next one" and it's suddenly a pain to set up, or it doesn't work, I'd have no issue switching to another phone, I don't have that singlemindedness that some people possess. I like it because, day in and day out, it works.

I do have the minor complaints about small changes with each OS upgrade, stuff like that, and apps I use not keeping up, but that's on the app, not the phone. They just upgraded iOS, and it's changed the way my phone interacts with CookingBites, actually, and it was a completely unnecessary change to me (they've reordered some menu choices when I upload photos - why???), but that's a minor inconvenience at worst.
I agree - moved from Blackberry to Apple, tried Android and hated it. Blackberry was OK over here (2007-2010), a bit like a grown up Nokia. Really p*sses me off when I restart my iPhone it wants my passcode, my fingerprint is not acceptable. Like somebody has stolen my phone, tortured me by cutting off my thumb and forefinger yet I have resisted giving up my passcode. WTF?

For me, with a career in graphic design and photography, going with Apple was a no brainer. That is what our profession used. Period. Apple was so far ahead in that technology -- Windoze was in the stone age.

Apple is still the leader in my field of work. I can't think of a single colleague that uses anything else.

So, that's how a lot of people got hooked on Apple -- including me.

CD

Last edited:
Don't even get me started on Macbooks. The company I worked before only had Macbooks, I worked there for 6 months and was so grateful to get rid of that horrible thing. Couldn't figure out how to do anything, the interface is so weird and all the shortcuts are odd. Taking a screenshot was the worst - you had to hold the shift key, and the up key, and the ctrl key, and an offer of a black goat to the devil along with the soul of your first born. Needless to say I could never take a screenshot on a Macbook.

Screenshots are easy on Apple OSX. So are shortcuts. They are just different than Windoze. "Easy" is dependent on what you are used to using.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom