Apple v. Android

Grandma Axe Handle (the you don't let the kids read or watch Harry Potter do you? Grandma) decided she wanted to switch to Apple PC.
It was three months of hell her getting the hang of it.
As strange as it seems finally there was a girl standing on a corner with a sign saying "Apple PC tutor."
Grandma Axe Handle hired her and it all turned around. She touts Apple like a cure for cancer.

I took the Apple Store Final Cut video editing seminar. First class started out with 23 people. Within 30 minutes the class was down to 2 and within 35 minutes I left the class and it was down to 1.
Amazingly complicated but our 10 year old grasped it and rolled with it immediately.
As user unfriendly as I've ever encountered but if you have a head for it a fantastic program.

Final Cut Pro was/is the industry standard. But, it is not easy.

CD

Screenshots are easy on Apple OSX. So are shortcuts. They are just different than Windoze. "Easy" is dependent on what you are used to using.

CD
Agreed. I don't use any keyboard combination to do screenshots on my work-provided ThinkPad - it's too complicated because I have a compact keyboard, so it's something like four keys that have to be pressed.

Instead, I just use the provided Snipping Tool. Yes, I have to open a program, click New, then drag around what I want, but it gives me the added ability to circle or highlight something, which is usually what I want to do anyway.

Final Cut Pro was/is the industry standard. But, it is not easy.

CD

Its what we used in my University (I used to teach film). I don't think its difficult to use but then I have media background. It largely replaced the very expensive Avid for year 1 and 2 students. Year 3 used Avid. But I'm talking about back in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

Android. As a former software developer, Android is the one. You'll find arguments that the people who buy Apple are the average consumer and those that buy Android, are developers.

Its what we used in my University (I used to teach film). I don't think its difficult to use but then I have media background. It largely replaced the very expensive Avid for year 1 and 2 students. Year 3 used Avid. But I'm talking about back in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I had completely forgotten about Avid. Avid was the leader, and Final Cut Pro took over.

CD

For me, with a career in graphic design and photography, going with Apple was a no brainer. That is what our profession used. Period. Apple was so far ahead in that technology -- Windoze was in the stone age.

Apple is still the leader in my field of work. I can't think of a single colleague that uses anything else.

So, that's how a lot of people got hooked on Apple -- including me.

CD
Correct. I work with a lot of graphic and UX designers and they only work with Mac.

Which one do you have? I'm toying with the idea of getting one as I use a MacBook Pro and could upload photos straight to iCloud rather than transferring from android (iPhones have great cameras as well as Samsung which I currently use).
I have a Huawei P30 Pro which is supposed to have a top notch camera (the lenses are Leica). I really don't care about the camera quality but it does take stunning pics and even comes with pro features for even more advanced settings. The Huawei P40 has an even better camera but doesn't support Google apps.

Wife's Apple phone and I pad, both supplied by her employer. I use Apple I pad, free cast off from my wife. Don't really like it but it's free.,I'm Samsung and have been for years. S8 and I love it. Wife would prefer Samsung having used mine but hers is free. I'm on a programme wifi unlimited plus a plan. House and my phone is $159 nzd month. I should update but $1000 ?? Not urgent having forked out 6k for carpet.

Russ

My Apple experience is minimal. The last Apple product that I had was the I phone 3 about a dozen years ago. I then moved to Android and haven't looked back. Specifically I have stayed with the Android/Galaxy phone products and I couldn't be happier.

My Apple experience is minimal. The last Apple product that I had was the I phone 3 about a dozen years ago. I then moved to Android and haven't looked back. Specifically I have stayed with the Android/Galaxy phone products and I couldn't be happier.

Once you get used to a platform, it is hard to change to another one. I use Nikon professional cameras. Canon makes some great professional cameras. But, after all these years, I can't see myself learning Canon cameras and lenses. Like Nikon, Apple is what I know.

CD

Which one do you have? I'm toying with the idea of getting one as I use a MacBook Pro and could upload photos straight to iCloud rather than transferring from android (iPhones have great cameras as well as Samsung which I currently use).
Morning Morning, No7 . The pics I want to save I upload to my Photo Bucket account. I like it because of the previous things and the fact that it has face time and fits in my pocket. We find people who walk around holding their latest phones ostentatious and rather shallow. Mrs B has had her internet phone for over 18 yrs. She likes it because it is small, the ring is loud, it takes good pics and switches off when you shut it.
1606545251705.png
1606545279965.png

I had completely forgotten about Avid. Avid was the leader, and Final Cut Pro took over.

CD

Far as I know Avid is still favoured by film industry professionals in the UK (not sure about US) although these day Final Cut Pro is more popular overall (if you include non-professionals) and is easier to use.... just found this quote below so it looks like Hollywood are definitely still using it. Certainly, the National Film and Television School here use Avid and the equipment they use is 'gold standard'.

Avid Media Composer
For decades, Avid Media Composer was the Hollywood standard for professional video editing software. It was the first major non-linear editing (NLE) program. Like all NLEs, it features timelines, media bins and editing tools to help keep you organized. In the past, Avid was the most expensive option. However, prices have dropped to as low as $239 a year. “Mission Impossible: Fallout” and “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” are two recent films edited with Avid which show its ability to handle special effects and complicated edits. If you want to make movies in — or like you’re in — Hollywood, Avid is a safe bet.

Professional Video Editing Tools Used in Hollywood Post-Production - Rev

The Flip Camera built in editing software is what spoiled me.
It improved with each improved edition of the camera too.
Easy as all get out with easy to use excellent features and even better when they rolled out the HD Flip.
Then, Sisco bought them out, folded the operation and that super user friendly, outstanding editing software vanished down a black hole.

In our recent graphic design/interior design/furniture design studies both teachers and students (who don't need Final Cut Pro for video editing) are relying on Windows-based appliances as the UI is neater, easy to handle and works well with e.g. various browsers. Office software has some easy quick edit opportunities and e.g. Adobe software (namingly Creative Cloud), Trimble (Sketchup), Rhino, SolidWorks, ArchiCAD, AutoCAD and Novapoint work well with Windows. The fact that most Finnish unis/colleges/highschools have Office 365 (Yammer, email, Teams etc) in general use, has to do with the inclination towards Windows, of course.

I've done design work with Windows for 25 years and swifted phones from Nokia to Android-based phones. No major complaints. It's a matter of routines and customs. I wasn't familiar with the UI of Apple appliances when I had a couple of design courses using Mac computers. No wonder I hated the interface and the thingamajigs. My hubby likes his tuition/teaching related iPad which he carries home. It's our Spotify gear with external loudspeakers (we're not HIFI enthusiasts, we don't have an intergrated sound system and we own outdated stereos - who listens to CD's anymore...).

Back
Top Bottom