Apples galore

My neighbour recently found out I love cooking. He is a gardener - I mean he gardens for other people as well as growing his own. So I'm now getting showered with produce! The latest glut is apples. I now have six kilos of apples! What to do with them all? I've made apple pies & apple tarts so far. There are still lots of kilos left.

All ideas appreciated.

If they are "crab apples" I would just sit and eat them. We used to scrump crab apples when we were kids. Oh, the memories!

Here's one you can make easily: apple slaw.

1568990504563.jpeg

"Apple slaw"...(with poppyseed dressing) - - is a winner!!! Hmmm. I suddenly have the urge to send the avid "griller" in the house to go out & grill, grill, grill. What shall I opt for?

Last edited:
Sliced apples in a salad are lovely! Add baby spinach, arugula or mixed greens, slivers of Spanish onion, salty feta or Bleu cheese, walnuts and raisins. Pomegranate in place of raisins are nice too. Serve with Dijon or tangy vinaigrette dressing as an accompaniment to quiche -- or, a light lunch or dinner!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Custard apples (aka sugar apples) are grown in southern Florida. They are nothing like what most would consider an apple.

Back
Top Bottom