Are you hooked on big brands?

I wouldn't go near spice jars; never have done. Back in UK I would travel some distance (either Liverpool or Leeds) to buy from the Pakistani grocers.
Most of the spices the supermarkets round where I live sell in their ethnic aisles are the same brands sold in the Asian grocers around here, and the supermarket are expanding their bulk buying ranges too. They are just not Schwartz - the Chinese shop in the indoor market sells that brand, only in much larger sizes than the silly little Schwartz jars the supermarkets sell. The nearby West Indian grocers has diversified, presumably because not many West Indians live in this neck of the woods - it's mainly eastern European, Asian and West African. There is a huge Chinese wholesalers a few miles away that also sells to the general public, but I haven't investigated them yet.

ElizabethB Years ago I used to have a Costco trade card which meant I could get stuff even cheaper from them. They were the main suppliers of some non-food stock we used to sell in our shop. We could also get stock from Associated Dairies (ASDA, now part of Walmart). I was never tempted by the food from either of them.

Here are a few very on-topic links to YouTube videos by Rhett and Link. It's fun to see just how hard name brands are to pick in a taste test. Hopefully they are not blocked where you are.

No problem viewing the vids. I watched the first one so far - it seems to be coming out with the same kind of results as the UK TV programme I was talking about. Fascinating!

No problem viewing the vids. I watched the first one so far - it seems to be coming out with the same kind of results as the UK TV programme I was talking about. Fascinating!

Yes, it is amazing how the human brain works -- how easily we can be fooled once the labels are gone. The fizzy drinks video is especially enlightening.

CD

Back
Top Bottom