Recipe Asian inspired lettuce wraps

caseydog

Local time
2:22 AM
Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps (recipe I found, with notes on things I changed

Lettuce leaves (I went with romaine)
1-lb ground beef (I used a very course grind, like I would use for chili)
1-yellow onion, diced
1-red bell pepper, diced
2-cloves garlic, minced
1-TBSP soy sauce
1/4 Cup- Hoisin sauce
1 or 2 TBSP hot chili sauce (I used 1 TBSP of Sriracha)
1-TSP ground ginger
1-TBSP rice wine vinegar
1/2 TBSP Honey (the real stuff)
4 green onions (the ones I bought tasted like crap, so didn't use them)
Salt, pepper and oil (canola) for sautéing

Prepare your mise en place. Mix all your liquids in one bowl.

Sauté onions peppers and garlic, then add beef. Season with salt and pepper as you cook.

When the meat and veggies are cooked, add your liquids, and lower heat to a simmer, and cook until incorporated and somewhat thickened (less than five minutes).

LettuceWraps.jpg

CD

I like the way your home ground beef looks so chunky - much better than the shot bought stuff we get here. What cut of beef did you use?

I like the way your home ground beef looks so chunky - much better than the shot bought stuff we get here. What cut of beef did you use?

That was actually shop bought ground beef, and the cut was Chuck. I do grind my own beef, but I found this at at price I couldn't resist at my local Kroger. I bought about five pounds, and divided it up, vacuum sealed it and froze it. They sell it as "Ground Chuck for Chili" here. It is 80/20 beef to fat ratio. It is actually a coarser grind than the biggest die I have for my meat grinder.

CD

That was actually shop bought ground beef, and the cut was Chuck. I do grind my own beef, but I found this at at price I couldn't resist at my local Kroger. I bought about five pounds, and divided it up, vacuum sealed it and froze it. They sell it as "Ground Chuck for Chili" here. It is 80/20 beef to fat ratio. It is actually a coarser grind than the biggest die I have for my meat grinder.

CD

Ah - I misunderstood. Here all mince (ground) meat looks the same in supermarkets. You have to go to a butchers if you want coarse ground.

Back
Top Bottom