Recipe Aubergine Pickle (round 1)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:41 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Aubergine Pickle

I am on the look out for an aubergine pickle or aubergine chutney recipe after finishing a jar of it from Waitrose. The Waitrose store jar was really nice. I was surprised afterall I am not actually the worlds biggest fan of aubergine after years of it being inflicted on me as a child in my ex-step-father's horrendous cooking (usually in his veg lasagne or a. n. other dish I can not now remember (muosaka?)). But this recipe looks interesting and I have all of the ingredients except for the aubergine, so I reckon it could be one to try next week :chef:

From the BBC GoodFood website (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303647/aubergine-pickle)

aubergine pickle(1).jpg

Ingredients

• 3 onions, chopped
  • 100g chunk ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp yellow mustard seed
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 3 tbsp tomato purée
  • 3 tbsp tamarind paste
  • 1kg aubergine, diced
  • 150g raisins
  • 200g soft light brown sugar
  • 250ml malt vinegar
Method

1. Put the onions, ginger and oil in a large saucepan and gently cook for 15 mins until soft.
  2. Stir in the spices and curry leaves and fry for a few mins,
  3. Then add the tomato purée and tamarind and fry for a few mins more.
  4. Stir in the aubergines, raisins, sugar and vinegar.
  5. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for 20 mins until the chutney has thickened.
  6. Leave for 10 mins, then spoon into sterilised jars and seal.
It makes about 1 1/2kg of pickle so I am guessing that is 3-4 jars worth.

I adore aubergine pickle (brinjal pickle). I'm addicted to Patak's which is somewhat hard to find.

10852011_0_640x640.jpg

I reckon it knocks spots off the Waitrose one which I also have in my cupboard. Try it if you can find it. I've been trying for over five years to make something close to the Patak pickle, to no avail! If I can get curry leaves, I'll give this recipe a try.

Back
Top Bottom