Aubergines/Eggplants: Do you love them or hate them?

How do you feel about aubergine/eggplant?

• I hate them

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I love them

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • They are OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends how they are cooked

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Every summer Dad had eggplant growing in the garden. The variety was Black Beauty.
I find the skin of the Black Beauty very bitter. Mother would peel and cube the eggplant then smother it with the holy trinity in oil. The taste was OK but the texture was off putting.
I much prefer the long Asian eggplants , long purple or long green. The skin is not at all bitter. Any variety can quickly become mushy. Eggplants have a high water content and they act as a sponge.
I like to cut my eggplant into thick slices. Time for the Mandolin. I line a sheet pan with several layers of paper towels. Heavily salt both sides of the Eggplant, put them on the paper towels and cover with another heavy layer of towels. Gently press. after 20 minutes the towels are soaked. Change the paper towels, press and let sit for another 20 minutes. The slices can now be fried, broiled, baked, or used in place of noodles in a lasagna, eggplant Parmesan. They are very salty so use a damp paper towel to wipe off most of the salt and do not add additional salt until the eggplant is done.

When I first joined this forum I saw mention of Aubergine. My reference was a color. I had to ask what it was. In addition to expanding my culinary abilities you have also expanded my vocabulary.

Back
Top Bottom