Aw Nuts!

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
1:44 PM
Christmas Time is coming and one of things I like to do is put together some Mixed Nuts. I hate buying Mixed Nuts as they are often overloaded with peanuts, even when they claim on the label that there are only 30% peanuts.

Mixed Nuts can be rather expensive these days as for just one type of Nuts, other than Peanuts, we're talking about $7.00 US. Some Nuts you can get from the Baking Goods aisle at the store, if you can't otherwise find them. Most any can be found on the web.

Here are the Nuts I like to mix...

Almond $6.98 for 16 Oz.
Brazil $9.98 for 16 Oz.
Cashew $7.98 for 16 Oz.
Chestnut $13.19 for 16 Oz.
Hazelnut/Filbert $11.99 for 16 Oz.
Peanut $1.98 for 16 Oz.
Pecan $9.98 for 16 Oz.
Walnut $7.47 for 16 Oz.

The list reflects some of the best prices I found for 1 Lb. of each type of Nut.

Macadamia, Pine and Pistachio don't really fit into a mix, but are good on their own.

Beyond doing Mixed Nuts, one can coat nuts with different things, from Honey to Chocolate. Even peanuts get a reprieve in things like Chocolate Peanut Clusters. Think Almond Coconut Bars, Caramel Nut Logs, etc.

Here the Christmas tradition is to have a bowl of mixed nuts in the shell with nutcrackers on the side. Its part of the ritual for everyone to crack their own.

Here the Christmas tradition is to have a bowl of mixed nuts in the shell with nutcrackers on the side. Its part of the ritual for everyone to crack their own.

That's a less costly way to do mixed nuts too. I like to mix them shelled. And when I pay nearly $100 bucks for the collective nuts, I use part of them and store the rest to use later in other ways. Christmas and New Years work out to revitalize my Nut stores in that way.

How about Wasabi dipped Pistachios? :)

Christmas and nuts...can't have one without the other. I usually make some kind of spicy nuts for the day itself, and have mixed nuts (as MG has above) sat out for the rest of the holiday. Half the fun is cracking them.

My favorite nut, by far, is the good ol' Brazil nut. After that, probably cashews, then peanuts. Hazelnuts are about my least favorite.

Reactions: mjd

View attachment 51651
During the holidays, my Dad always brought out the bowl of mixed nuts in the shell along with nut cracker and the "picks" to get in the nooks and crevices of the shells to get all the nut out.

It's the start of this years nut crop here (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and my fav chestnuts) the shops and markets are full. In a normal year Roast Chestnut vendor are everywhere. My parents in law as most village people do, had three walnut trees and two almond trees in their garden the late Tommo's nuts were massive. Big bowls of mixed dried fruit and nuts are common for Christmas. Also every type of cake, biscuit and desert are common this time of year.
My birthday cakes from my 59th on wards have been made from there walnuts.
1606812983420.png

Mixed Nuts with shells on, I found as cheap as $6.69 US per 16 Oz. Of course, that includes the shells.

Here's an easy Microwave recipe for Peanut Brittle...

Easy Microwave Peanut Brittle

For Walnut Brittle, add a touch of Molasses, instead of all Sugar. With a little thought, Brittles can be made for Pistachios, Pecans, Macadamia Nuts and Almonds.

I received that last of my nuts today, peeled, tree ripened, soft and semi-sweet. I must of screwed up on the order because I got twelve 5.2 Oz. packets totaling 62.4 Oz. No Biggie. The Nuts are wonderfully flavorful and I am bound to find a use for them beyond just Holiday snacking.

I received that last of my nuts today, peeled, tree ripened, soft and semi-sweet. I must of screwed up on the order because I got twelve 5.2 Oz. packets totaling 62.4 Oz. No Biggie. The Nuts are wonderfully flavorful and I am bound to find a use for them beyond just Holiday snacking.
I just noticed, this post didn't say they were Chestnuts.

I like just about any form of nut (insert own joke here), but if forced to choose one, it would be cashews. They're great with beer and also (if unsalted, of course) go nicely in a curry.

A few years ago, having gone to Sri Lanka, we came back via Doha and had a look in the duty-free shop. They had whopping great bags of unsalted cashews selling for pennies, so we bought a couple. Even with some enthusiastic consumption, they lasted for a few months.

I like just about any form of nut (insert own joke here), but if forced to choose one, it would be cashews.

Cashews are my favorite too, followed by Pecans, then Walnuts. These Chestnuts I recently received are quite delicious. I am surprised by the quality and they must have been harvested, peeled and roasted at just the right time.

Cashews my least favourite (too fatty/oily). My favourites are walnuts because of the bitter edge. But I also like hazelnuts and their Kentish cousin the cobnut.

Brazil nuts seem to have all but disappeared. They always used to be included in bags of shell on mixed nuts but they haven't been for several years now.

Brazil nuts are my favorite, by far. They're about the most expensive around here, naturally...

Back
Top Bottom