Aw Shucks!

We get oysters from the northeast Atlantic coast, the northwest Pacific coast, and the gulf coast from the panhandle of Florida around to Texas. A bunch of different kinds from each area. One of our faves is wiannos from the NE Atlantic coast.

We get oysters from the northeast Atlantic coast, the northwest Pacific coast, and the gulf coast from the panhandle of Florida around to Texas. A bunch of different kinds from each area. One of our faves is wiannos from the NE Atlantic coast.
I looked it up. Hmmm I'd try them.

Russ

Have any of you heard of these Mussel, it is illegal here to collect and sell them. The last restaurant caught serving them was fined 6.000 Euro.

Have any of you heard of these Mussel, it is illegal here to collect and sell them. The last restaurant caught serving them was fined 6.000 Euro.
View attachment 42659

No I hadn't but it seems that the reason they are banned is:
that the only way to get them is by breaking the stones where they live in the sea. These stones, rocks are very recognizable since the date-shell creates a hole for it’s growing shell. The easiest way is to brake the rock using a hammer and that causes terrible devastation of the coast. Kilometers have been devastated in the past…

It takes about 20 years for date-shell to reach 5 CM (2 Inches) and up to 80 years to reach it’s maximum length of 12 CMs. Also remember that a meter of the coastline is destroyed for every 20 pieces…

The age that these reach is fascinating - they live longer than a lot of us!

Its great that you have such strict laws in Croatia to protect the coast.

Yours are cheap, ours around $30 a dozen. A real treat given minimum wage is $17 hr. I normally have them two or three times a season. Once raw and then fried in batter.

Russ

We have many varieties of oysters and clams in the US. From the Atlantic coast, Gulf of Mexico and Pacific coast. I like them on the half shell, roasted over charcoal, fried, in gumbo and stew.

Roasted over charcoal.....mmmmmmmm :)

Russ

Roasted/grilled oysters are very good. I like them with lots of butter and garlic on them while they cook. You eat them right out of the shell, just like raw oysters.

CD

Back
Top Bottom