Recipe Bacon Bunty (a Bacon Butty Bun)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
12:12 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

Ah, the Bacon Bunty: the fusion of back bacon and a bread roll that you never knew you needed. The idea here was to incorporate Canadian bacon into a dough for a simple farmhouse bread loaf. I had hoped that the bread itself would provide the bacon butty experience, but it wasn't quite enough. The solution? More Canadian bacon!

Ingredients

1 packet quick rising yeast
12 ounces (350 ml) lukewarm water
4 cups (500g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
canola oil
8 ounces (225g) Canadian bacon / back bacon plus extra as desired
1 egg yolk

Directions

1. Place the yeast into a mixing bowl with some of the water. Allow to proof for 10 minutes. Add flour, salt, and most of the water. Mix using a stand mixer equipped with dough hooks, scraping down the sides periodically, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

2. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Kneed the dough to combine the remaining bits of flour, eliminating any dry spots. Coat the dough with oil and return to the mixing bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for an hour.

3. Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C). Cut back bacon into thick pieces and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 7 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Cut 8 ounces into small chunks. Set aside the better pieces for assembly into a sandwich if desired. Allow to cool.

4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Combine chunks of back bacon with the dough.

5. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Oil the compartments of a muffin tin. Divide bacon dough into 12 equal portions and place in the muffin tin compartments. Combine egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and use to brush the surface of the dough balls.

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the surface is slightly browned and a toothpick comes out cleanly.

7. Enjoy the bacon bunty roll with a thick slab of butter and add extra back bacon as desired to make a bacon bunty sandwich.

Last edited:

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:12 AM
I love the title of the recipe. The question is, would up add tomato ketchup or brown sauce the the split bun?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I love the title of the recipe. The question is, would up add tomato ketchup or brown sauce the the split bun?

Thank you for reminding me...I didn't have a chance to pick up HP sauce. The dough is exactly what a farmhouse loaf would be, but with the extra crust added by the egg wash. It should be study enough to support a sauce along with the back bacon.

JAS_OH1

Legendary Member
Local time
View attachment 60817

Ah, the Bacon Bunty: the fusion of back bacon and a bread roll that you never knew you needed. The idea here was to incorporate Canadian bacon into a dough for a simple farmhouse bread loaf. I had hoped that the bread itself would provide the bacon butty experience, but it wasn't quite enough. The solution? More Canadian bacon!

Ingredients

1 packet quick rising yeast
12 ounces (350 ml) lukewarm water
4 cups (500g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
canola oil
8 ounces (225g) Canadian bacon / back bacon plus extra as desired
1 egg yolk

Directions

1. Place the yeast into a mixing bowl with some of the water. Allow to proof for 10 minutes. Add flour, salt, and most of the water. Mix using a stand mixer equipped with dough hooks, scraping down the sides periodically, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

2. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Kneed the dough to combine the remaining bits of flour, eliminating any dry spots. Coat the dough with oil and return to the mixing bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for an hour.

3. Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C). Cut back bacon into thick pieces and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 7 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Cut 8 ounces into small chunks. Set aside the better pieces for assembly into a sandwich if desired. Allow to cool.

View attachment 60816

4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Combine chunks of back bacon with the dough.

View attachment 60815

5. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Oil the compartments of a muffin tin. Divide bacon dough into 12 equal portions and place in the muffin tin compartments. Combine egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and use to brush the surface of the dough balls.

View attachment 60814

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the surface is slightly browned and a toothpick comes out cleanly.

View attachment 60813

7. Enjoy the bacon bunty roll with a thick slab of butter and add extra back bacon as desired to make a bacon bunty sandwich.
What did you do with all those buns? That's a lot of buns.

JAS_OH1

Legendary Member
Local time
Oooh, those would be good with crispy bacon and a fried over easy egg inside. I'd get runny yolk on my chin probably but wouldn't care :p:

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Oooh, those would be good with crispy bacon and a fried over easy egg inside. I'd get runny yolk on my chin probably but wouldn't care :p:

I will make this again with what we call bacon (from the belly, not the back). I have also tried it as a breakfast sandwich, with an egg. Definitely worth the extra napkins.

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
Website
absolute0cooking.com

C6834AEB-C5C4-4062-8625-2CE4D19DCDAB.jpeg

Bacon Bunty with a fried egg. Not pictured: the entire roll of paper towel I needed to wipe my hands when I was eating it. Totally worth it.

Top Bottom