Recipe Bacon Bunty (a Bacon Butty Bun)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:50 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

Ah, the Bacon Bunty: the fusion of back bacon and a bread roll that you never knew you needed. The idea here was to incorporate Canadian bacon into a dough for a simple farmhouse bread loaf. I had hoped that the bread itself would provide the bacon butty experience, but it wasn't quite enough. The solution? More Canadian bacon!

Ingredients

1 packet quick rising yeast
12 ounces (350 ml) lukewarm water
4 cups (500g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
canola oil
8 ounces (225g) Canadian bacon / back bacon plus extra as desired
1 egg yolk

Directions

1. Place the yeast into a mixing bowl with some of the water. Allow to proof for 10 minutes. Add flour, salt, and most of the water. Mix using a stand mixer equipped with dough hooks, scraping down the sides periodically, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

2. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Kneed the dough to combine the remaining bits of flour, eliminating any dry spots. Coat the dough with oil and return to the mixing bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for an hour.

3. Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C). Cut back bacon into thick pieces and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 7 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Cut 8 ounces into small chunks. Set aside the better pieces for assembly into a sandwich if desired. Allow to cool.

4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Combine chunks of back bacon with the dough.

5. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Oil the compartments of a muffin tin. Divide bacon dough into 12 equal portions and place in the muffin tin compartments. Combine egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and use to brush the surface of the dough balls.

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the surface is slightly browned and a toothpick comes out cleanly.

7. Enjoy the bacon bunty roll with a thick slab of butter and add extra back bacon as desired to make a bacon bunty sandwich.

Last edited:
I love the title of the recipe. The question is, would up add tomato ketchup or brown sauce the the split bun?

I love the title of the recipe. The question is, would up add tomato ketchup or brown sauce the the split bun?

Thank you for reminding me...I didn't have a chance to pick up HP sauce. The dough is exactly what a farmhouse loaf would be, but with the extra crust added by the egg wash. It should be study enough to support a sauce along with the back bacon.

View attachment 60817

Ah, the Bacon Bunty: the fusion of back bacon and a bread roll that you never knew you needed. The idea here was to incorporate Canadian bacon into a dough for a simple farmhouse bread loaf. I had hoped that the bread itself would provide the bacon butty experience, but it wasn't quite enough. The solution? More Canadian bacon!

Ingredients

1 packet quick rising yeast
12 ounces (350 ml) lukewarm water
4 cups (500g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
canola oil
8 ounces (225g) Canadian bacon / back bacon plus extra as desired
1 egg yolk

Directions

1. Place the yeast into a mixing bowl with some of the water. Allow to proof for 10 minutes. Add flour, salt, and most of the water. Mix using a stand mixer equipped with dough hooks, scraping down the sides periodically, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

2. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Kneed the dough to combine the remaining bits of flour, eliminating any dry spots. Coat the dough with oil and return to the mixing bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for an hour.

3. Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C). Cut back bacon into thick pieces and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 7 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Cut 8 ounces into small chunks. Set aside the better pieces for assembly into a sandwich if desired. Allow to cool.

View attachment 60816

4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Combine chunks of back bacon with the dough.

View attachment 60815

5. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Oil the compartments of a muffin tin. Divide bacon dough into 12 equal portions and place in the muffin tin compartments. Combine egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and use to brush the surface of the dough balls.

View attachment 60814

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the surface is slightly browned and a toothpick comes out cleanly.

View attachment 60813

7. Enjoy the bacon bunty roll with a thick slab of butter and add extra back bacon as desired to make a bacon bunty sandwich.
What did you do with all those buns? That's a lot of buns.

Oooh, those would be good with crispy bacon and a fried over easy egg inside. I'd get runny yolk on my chin probably but wouldn't care :p:

Oooh, those would be good with crispy bacon and a fried over easy egg inside. I'd get runny yolk on my chin probably but wouldn't care :p:

I will make this again with what we call bacon (from the belly, not the back). I have also tried it as a breakfast sandwich, with an egg. Definitely worth the extra napkins.

C6834AEB-C5C4-4062-8625-2CE4D19DCDAB.jpeg

Bacon Bunty with a fried egg. Not pictured: the entire roll of paper towel I needed to wipe my hands when I was eating it. Totally worth it.

Back
Top Bottom