The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
12:47 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_3771.jpeg

This happened because I started to think of tomato ketchup as a cousin to gochujang. This got me to thinking of other East – West family relations.

When I make a burger, I make it with kimchi and pickled onions, with a spicy mayo. But, that would be too obvious here. So, I made this the way I would make a bacon burger, minus the bun. I didn’t want to bring cheese into it, even though it is a natural companion to the beef. I wanted this to be a stir fry, first and foremost.

And, the best thing about ketchup in this recipe is that you can use it the way you would on a burger. Put as much as you want. This is why I didn’t put measurements for the ketchup or mustard.

Ingredients

8 cups day old white rice, cooked
1 pound 80/20 ground beef
8 strips of bacon
1/2 large onion
2 eggs
Ketchup
Mustard
Pickle slices
Salt
Pepper

IMG_3768.jpeg

Directions

1. Cut bacon into chunks. Heat in a large pan until fat is rendered. Sauté onion in bacon fat.

NOTE: I wanted to cook the meat like a hamburger, not like crumbled ground beef. I wanted there to be some moisture to it, since it was going to cook more as part of the stir fry.

2. Form ground beef into 4 equal patties. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate pan, cook until one level less than you usually like your burger. Other words, if you like medium, cook it medium rare.

IMG_3767.jpeg

3. Stir egg into sautéed onions and bacon. Chop up some pickle slices, but save some for serving. Mix, chopped pickles, ketchup, and mustard into the pan. Crumble ground beef, and stir into the rice.

IMG_3769.jpeg

4. Add additional ketchup, mustard, and pickle to taste. Serve with pickle slices.

Back
Top Bottom