Bacon - Uncooked or Pre-Cooked?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
10:38 PM
I often purchase pre-cooked bacon and toss it in the freezer. Then, when I want to use bacon and wish to avoid an extra step of frying it, I just take out a couple strips from the freezer and let it thaw, before tossing it on a salad or in a soup, etc.

I can just about guess that lots of people do this sort of thing, or the product would not exist in the stores.

Do any members use pre-cooked bacon?

I usually fry my bacon ( or stick it in the microwave) before I eat it, but hey, when you think Austrian "Speck" - isn´t that just a form of bacon?

I usually fry my bacon ( or stick it in the microwave) before I eat it, but hey, when you think Austrian "Speck" - isn´t that just a form of bacon?

Speck is similar to prosciutto, a special cured ham. But it is not prosciutto.

I have never seen precooked bacon for sale, as far as I know. Precooked ham, yes but not bacon.

I could see having some on hand to use at the last minute, but I'd still want to cook it myself most days in order to get the grease. I keep a tub of that for flavoring other stuff.

The only sort of pre-cooked bacon for sale here in the UK pre-cooked is crispy bacon bits for sprinkling, which I suppose is quite handy though I've never bought any. I tend to grill (broil) it in the halogen oven rather than fry it.

I'm curing pork belly now for my next batch of bacon.

Even I don't go that far... yet. I do cure my own back-bacon.

I've seen pre-cooked bacon in the store, but never paid much attention to it. IIRC the price per slice is pretty high. It looks like you pay more money for fewer slices of bacon. I've never done the real math, so I am going on quick-glance math.

BTW, I assume what flyinglentris is referring to is American/streaky bacon.

CD

I like bacon and lattice it sometimes, so it lays perfectly OCD flat and provides perfect square bread coverage,
you know that white cotton candy bread? Sometimes I put it on nice "Mano Fatto" bread from my local Migros.

Edited to add, when I moved to Zurich I found out they only had streaky bacon, but it turned out to be quite nice.

The non-streaky bacon, can't remember it's name now, is CHF60 per kilo, YIKESSS!

PPS: One of my earlier videos, and while it's cringey, it was hard to put it together, I like to think I've improved.. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom