Bacon - Uncooked or Pre-Cooked?

Other than pre-made crumbled bacon, I have never seen pre-cooked bacon in stores. I don't think I'd be interested. Are the pre-cooked strips somewhat crispy?

I never use the microwave to make bacon - there is a matter of nanoseconds between under and overdone bacon, and you can't really watch the bacon as it cooks. I try to buy local bacon - better quality - which means the slices aren't always uniformly sliced on the commercial microtomes other sources use.

I have done oven-bacon, but again I can't watch it. On the cooktop, I can use a splatter guard.

I go about 9..it depends on the thickness of the belly slab and my time schedule..I think the amout of time can affect the saltiness of the finished product..
Could be, haven't tested it. I go 14 days for Montreal smoked meat. Tomorrow is seafood delivery so it's halibut and lobster. New menu with lobster rolls and I make a lobster bisque with shrimp toast as a garnish, fancy stuff.....lol.

I often purchase pre-cooked bacon and toss it in the freezer. Then, when I want to use bacon and wish to avoid an extra step of frying it, I just take out a couple strips from the freezer and let it thaw, before tossing it on a salad or in a soup, etc.
NOPE - not going there. G cooks bacon in the microwave - hate it. I put cold bacon in a cold pan on medium/medium low heat. The drippings are a treasure.

NOPE - not going there. G cooks bacon in the microwave - hate it. I put cold bacon in a cold pan on medium/medium low heat. The drippings are a treasure.

YES! That's exactly how I cook mine. It turns out just right, and completely flat.

CD

YES! That's exactly how I cook mine. It turns out just right, and completely flat.

CD
I am not sure I want my bacon completely flat.

I like the different textures along its length, as long as they are cooked and not burnt.

Completely flat and all the same texture is fine if one is going to crumble bacon up for a salad inclusion.

I am not sure I want my bacon completely flat.

I like the different textures along its length, as long as they are cooked and not burnt.

Completely flat and all the same texture is fine if one is going to crumble bacon up for a salad inclusion.

Oh, what I meant by "completely flat" was that the bacon doesn't curl up.

CD

I have never seen precooked bacon for sale, as far as I know. Precooked ham, yes but not bacon.

Allow me to enlighten you ...

full.jpg

I figure if I can eat frozen Jimmy Dean breakfast muffins and biscuits, I can certainly eat frozen precooked bacon.

Back
Top Bottom