Recipe Baked Clams - By: Three Michelin Daniel Humm

Francesca

Local time
4:39 PM
Three Michelin Star Swiss Chef Daniel Humm of Restaurant Eleven Madison Park Restaurant in Manhattan´s Grammacy - Murray Hill región was interviewed for the Food and Wine Magazine, Published by: Time, Inc.

Here is his récipe .. ( Quite wonderful though I eliminated the bacon & The Reggiano Parmesan ) ..

1 cup dry White wine of choice
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 shallot thinly sliced
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
24 fresh clams

Filling:

2 Thin slices of bacon of choice
3 tbsps. unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves minced
1 médium shallot minced extremely finely
1 / 2 cup dry White wine
1 / 2 cup chicken stock broth home made
2 shucked clams finely chopped
1 / 2 cup Brioche bread crumbs
3 / 4 tsp. salt ( Daniel used kosher salt )

Topping:

1 / 4 Cup fresh brioche bread crumbs
1 tblsp. very finely minced parsley fresh
1 tsp. fresh lemon zest grated
1 tblsps. finely grated Parmesan ( I did not use )
Kosher salt ( I used sea salt )
Lemon wedges for serving ..

PREPARE THE CLAMS:

1) In a large saucepan, combine the wine, garlic, shallot, sprigs of thyme and the bay leaf and bring to a soft boil over médium heat. Add the clams and cover and cook, shaking the pan, until clams open - 5 minutes should do it ..

2) Now, using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the clams to a large baking tray and discard the cooking liquid .. Let the clams cool slightly and then, Split the shells in half and transfer the clam meat to a small bowl .. Clean the Shell halves of the clams and arrange on the baking sheet .. Discard the remaining shells.

3) Prepare the filling .. In a large skillet sauté the bacon and stir occassionally until browned and just crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.

Now, Add the butter, garlci, and shallot and stir frequently until softened 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until scraping up Brown bits, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, and cook until reduced to a thin glaze, about 4 to 5 minutes. Then stir in the shuckled clams, and add the lemon juice, salt and the breadcrumbs.

4) The Topping:

In a médium glass bowl, mix the brioche crumbs with the parsley, zest and cheese. Season with salt.

Now, preheat oven, 180 C or 350 F, and put 1 clam on each half Shell and top with the filling .. Bake 15 minutes or until bubbling and the tops are Golden ..

Serve with fresh lemon and a glass of the same White wine .. The Chef suggests: French L´ Avión Roussanne Stolpman Vineyards 2014 .. Or similar ..

Extraordinarily sublimely exquisite ..

It sounds delightful. I wonder what kind of clams he used. They are not easy to find fresh where I am although I can get them on the coast when in season.

@morning glory

The clams he uses are northeastern Atlantic coast, called "Little Necks".

I used French Mediterranean, Verni, and in Spanish, Chirlas or Almejónes and in English: Venus Shells ..

It is all about what my dad and Grandfathers and sons and husband bring in ..

@morning glory

The clams he uses are northeastern Atlantic coast, called "Little Necks".

I used French Mediterranean, Verni, and in Spanish, Chirlas or Almejónes and in English: Venus Shells ..

It is all about what my dad and Grandfathers and sons and husband bring in ..

You are lucky! I love clams but they are not very available here. :(

@morning glory

Cadiz, Huelva, Portugal & Galicia are renowned for their clams ..

I ate a ton of shellfish in Edinburgh and London .. And then again, I so rarely eat meat, or poultry, that I check to read their cartes before booking a table ..

@ElizabethB

We are definitely Pescatarians predominately .. We live on the sea .. I adore fresh shellfish particulary ..

Have a lovely day ..

@Francesca

My seafood selection is wonderful but different from yours. The Gulf of Mexico is warmer than other coasts. We do not have clams or mussels. I can get live clams and mussels from a couple of specialty markets. Some thing I would like to try.

@ElizabethB

Baked stuffed clams are a lovely lovely dish .. It is much colder where I am than Louisiana ... Our latitude is approx. the same as Rhode Island or Boston ..

It is 5 degrees Centig here at 7am .. Now approx .. 12 degrees - 1 5 cenitg degrees -- almost 13.00 = peak of day ..

Our latitude is approx. the same as Rhode Island or Boston ..

Live lobster, clams and mussels are readily available in Boston. The warming influence of the Gulf waters do travel up the east coast. Atlantic shores are warmer than the Pacific coast - not near as warm as the Gulf coast.

I visited Boston once. I fell in love with the fresh clams and mussels. I can get live clams, mussels and lobsters but there is something about sitting in a tiny restaurant on a boat dock eating these wonder delicacies that slept in the ocean the night before.

I visited Boston once. I fell in love with the fresh clams and mussels. I can get live clams, mussels and lobsters but there is something about sitting in a tiny restaurant on a boat dock eating these wonder delicacies that slept in the ocean the night before.

I visited Boston once as well (my only visit to U.S.A.). I don't think I had clams but I did eat sea-food in a coastal 'shack' type restaurant. It was a long time ago!

Live lobster, clams and mussels are readily available in Boston. The warming influence of the Gulf waters do travel up the east coast. Atlantic shores are warmer than the Pacific coast - not near as warm as the Gulf coast.

@ElizabethB

Boston is a wonderful city for eating shellfish .. I was there for a Travel Tourism Convention a couple of years ago .. My husband came with me on that trip and we spent a week on the Cape of Hynnais and then took sea planes to Martha´s Vine yard and Nantucket .. Exceptionally extraordinary .. And the shellfish there was quite amazing too ..

My husband and I prefer San Fran and Manhattan however ..
They have a lot of "dazzle " and remind me alot of both Barcelona and Madrid in this respect .. I loved San Francisco´s Wharf área and ate at a Two Michelin Italian Restaurant there called ** Michelin Acquerello owned by an Italian French Woman named Suzette Greshem .. The restaurant is 25 years old .. It was quite amazing ..

@ElizabethB

Hemmingway stated: "Madrid is a city that never sleeps" .. Well, Manhattan is the same ! Fantastic city .. Have been a few times for Travel Tourism Conventions however, in late January, we shall have 2 Travel Tourism Conventions in the Madrid Capital ( no Visa payments ) ..

However, in 2019, we are hoping to have one in Montreal, Canada which is an incredible city with remarkably outstanding cuisine .. I loved Newfoundland. It was an amazingly spectacular island .. The Basque Fisherman´s Museum was simply awesome ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom