Recipe Baked Fish topped with Crabmeat Stuffing

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:29 PM
Crabmeat stuffing atop fish filets during baking is a great way to add richness and depth of flavor to mild, white-fleshed fish and also helps to prevent the fish from drying out while cooking. And it's delicious! I make my own crabmeat stuffing with cream cheese, butter, vegetables, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs from my garden: Recipe - Crabmeat Stuffing

For this recipe, I used walleye fish, which is a white-fleshed fish with a mild flavor. Walleye is a fresh water fish that is prevalent in colder waters of North America (Canada and the Northern United States). My husband caught this fish with his cousins on Lake Erie last month and I have quite a bit of it in my freezer. I find it similar to grouper in flavor and texture.

This recipe would work well with grouper, snapper, or countless other types of mild flavored, white-fleshed fish (I do not recommend using it with salmon, swordfish, or tuna).

Ingredients:
Two fish filets, approximately 6-8 ounces each
1/2 to 3/4 pound of crabmeat stuffing Recipe - Crabmeat Stuffing
Lemon pepper
Cajun seasoning (optional)
Chopped parsley for garnish

Preparation:
Wash and score filets if needed to flatten out filets to a more uniform thickness, making sure that any pin bones are removed. Pat the filets dry.

Coat a shallow baking dish lightly with olive oil and a dash of salt. Place the fish filets in the pan and cover them completely with the desired amount of crabmeat stuffing. Cover the pan with foil and bake in a 400F oven for 25 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven, take off the foil, and broil for about 2 minutes until the stuffing is lightly browned across the top. After plating, lightly sprinkle with lemon pepper and Cajun seasoning if desired. Garnish with chopped parsley.

Last edited:
Stuffed fish is a big thing here. I love stuffed red snapper.

CD
Me too. Stuffed flounder is very nice as well. And "deviled crab" is nothing but a crab shell stuffed with the crabmeat stuffing mix and then fried or baked (as I am sure you know quite well, CD), though they never use the ratio of crab-to-stuffing that I like. We home cooks make sure that we can taste the crab! My crabmeat stuffing is very crab forward, as it should be. And I have, in the past, put the crabmeat in between two filets that were similar in size, but it takes longer to bake that way and I don't like risking the chance of overcooking the fish. Covering it with the stuffing mix as a topping and baking it covered with foil works quite well.

Me too. Stuffed flounder is very nice as well. And "deviled crab" is nothing but a crab shell stuffed with the crabmeat stuffing mix and then fried or baked (as I am sure you know quite well, CD), though they never use the ratio of crab-to-stuffing that I like. We home cooks make sure that we can taste the crab! My crabmeat stuffing is very crab forward, as it should be. And I have, in the past, put the crabmeat in between two filets that were similar in size, but it takes longer to bake that way and I don't like risking the chance of overcooking the fish. Covering it with the stuffing mix as a topping and baking it covered with foil works quite well.

There was a place on Gulfway Drive in Port Arthur called Monceaux's that was basically a shack, that had the most amazing fried Gulf seafood. I usually got their stuffed shrimp, but the stuffed crabs were great, too. All take out, no dining room.

For the uninitiated, "stuffed" fish and shrimps is not actually "stuffed" with anything. Stuffed fish has a crab stuffing on top of it, as JAS has featured it. Stuffed shrimp is a large butterflied shrimp wrapped with crab stuffing, then breaded and fried, sort of like a Scotch egg is an egg wrapped with meat, breaded and fried. It is amazing comfort food, and late night munchies food.

CD

I would never have thought of doing fish that way. I just deep fry it,you’rs looks absolutely amazing.
I must see if I can get crab meat in a can here.

Russ

I would never have thought of doing fish that way. I just deep fry it,you’rs looks absolutely amazing.
I must see if I can get crab meat in a can here.

Russ
How about some crayfish meat?

And thank you!

Back
Top Bottom