Baked potatoes

pocofan

Local time
3:03 AM
Finally learned how to make great baked potatoes. Should be simple but I had trouble getting them just right. I wash and dry them. Poke my holes in them. Cover them with soft butter, like Country Crock. Roll in course salt, then pepper and then dill. Bake at 400 F and flip every 20 minutes. Bake for 50-60 minutes depending on the size. On the past I either over cooked or under cooked. How do y’all make yours ?

Finally learned how to make great baked potatoes. Should be simple but I had trouble getting them just right. I wash and dry them. Poke my holes in them. Cover them with soft butter, like Country Crock. Roll in course salt, then pepper and then dill. Bake at 400 F and flip every 20 minutes. Bake for 50-60 minutes depending on the size. On the past I either over cooked or under cooked. How do y’all make yours ?

I wash and dry them, poke some holes in them, and bake at 350F until they reach 210F/99C internal temperature. I have found that to be the perfect internal temperature. I sometimes rub them in oil to crisp up the skin, but not always.

CD

Similar to CD, I sometimes rub them down in oil and salt, sometimes I don't, though I go about 375F for around 75 minutes. I've never taken the internal temp, though, so now I'm intrigued.

Similar to CD, I sometimes rub them down in oil and salt, sometimes I don't, though I go about 375F for around 75 minutes. I've never taken the internal temp, though, so now I'm intrigued.

According to the Idaho Potato Commission, 210F is the ideal internal temperature for a Russet potato.

Ideal temperature for a baked potato

BTW, for those not from the US, the State of Idaho is the potato Mecca of the US.

CD

Scrub clean, prick over with a fork, rub Evoo and salt
, microwave the let sit. Scoop out and fill with any topping. I boil sweet tatters and mash with onion bacon cheese then fill potato skins. Hear in oven, I sometimes add creamed corn on top.
I'm due to do these again.

Russ

I have a gas oven and I can never get my potatoes to be as crispy as I want them. I cover them with salt, olive oil and cornstarch before putting them in the oven at 230ºC.

I sometimes blanch them a bit before putting them in the oven (preheated) seasoning with Evoo, salt, pepper, garlic (not minced) and aromatic herbs like rosemary, thyme and/or sage.
What I often do is to season them in a bit of grated cheese, Parmigiano or Pecorino which are the cheeses I always have in the fridge.

Last edited:
I scrub them then give each one 2 minutes in the microwave (ours are usually c. 200gms each). Then oil and usually salt them and and cook in the halogen oven until the skin crisps.

If I'm eating them plain I usually just add butter, salt and maybe parsley.

Otherwise, I'll halve them longwise, scoop out the white potato and mash with cheese, tomato puree, minced onion, minced garlic, red chillis and seasoning before returning the mash to the skin and then grilling until browned.

I like to use large potato's. I thinly slice them, but not all the way through. Then I stuff them with thinly sliced onions. Add butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and throw them on the grill/oven.

Otherwise, I'll halve them longwise, scoop out the white potato and mash with cheese, tomato puree, minced onion, minced garlic, red chillis and seasoning before returning the mash to the skin and then grilling until browned.

I've also tried refilling the jackets with samosa mixture (learnt from the Chef in the Taj Mahal Hotel in Bombay - not personally).

The filling, in addition to the scooped out potato, consists: finely chopped onion, peas, grated ginger, fresh red chillis, salt, ground roasted cumin and coriander, garam masala, chilli powder, lime juice and chopped fresh coriander leaves.

I've also tried refilling the jackets with samosa mixture (learnt from the Chef in the Taj Mahal Hotel in Bombay - not personally).

The filling, in addition to the scooped out potato, consists: finely chopped onion, peas, grated ginger, fresh red chillis, salt, ground roasted cumin and coriander, garam masala, chilli powder, lime juice and chopped fresh coriander leaves.

I would never have thought of doing that. I can see how it works. I need to make more samosas mixes.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom