Baking trays gone mouldy

Egg shells in the oven?
I’m for binning them. I’m sure they’re salvageable somehow but I think Id view the food that came out of them with too much suspicion 😂
Now you surprise me. Eggs shells are a rich source of calcium amongst other minerals that are valuable in compost. But as they are they don't break down very well. Bake them and they become brittle and disintegrate much more easily. They also have loads of sharp edges so that slugs and snails don't like them going over them.

No need to waste energy specially baking them though. Just bung them in a cooling oven on a tray or similar and leave them there overnight, once you've turned the oven off.

We bake them, then they get fed back to the chooks after they have been crushed by hand. Before we had chooks, we did the same, but they went baked and broken onto the compost heap. They are a really important source of minerals in compost or a chooks (and birds) diet (95% dry weight calcium carbonate, 0.3% phosphorus, 0.3% magnesium, trace sodium, potassium, zinc, manganese, iron and copper).

Last edited:
Now you surprise me. Eggs shells are a rich source of calcium amongst other minerals that are valuable in compost. But as they are they don't break down very well. Bake them and they become brittle and disintegrate much more easily. They also have loads of sharp edges so that slugs and snails don't like them going over them.

No need to waste energy specially baking them though. Just bung them in a cooling oven on a tray or similar and leave them there overnight, once you've turned the oven off.

We bake them, then they get fed back to the chooks after they have been crushed by hand. Before we had chooks, we did the same, but they went baked and broken onto the compost heap. They are a really important source of minerals in compost or a chooks (and birds) diet (95% dry weight calcium carbonate, 0.3% phosphorus, 0.3% magnesium, trace sodium, potassium, zinc, manganese, iron and copper).
Ah no I wasnt clear. I understand the point of putting eggs shells in an oven. Just not that they were in there for months. Made me think you don’t have a glass fronted door on your oven.
Must have been a lovely surprise for you 😂

Back
Top Bottom