Banned in the U.S.A: 8 Foods You Can't Eat in America

In regard to raw milk, it separates by itself if allowed to sit still into the heavier cream and regular milk part. My grandparents had a farm and my grandmother would sell milk/cream, fresh eggs when I was a young girl. I had forgotten how the milk separates and was amazed the first time we bought raw milk some 25 years or so later. My mother wouldn't use cream for anything because it reminded her of the raw milk she had to drink as a child.

The milk companies let it separate then do whatever they do to pasturize it and make it where it won't separate, homogenize it.
As small children, brother and I took turns in the mornings having the cream off the top of the milk on our weetabix. The good old days when the milk was left on the doorstep in bottles every morning.

When raw milk separates what is on the bottom is skim milk. We used to use the cream on top to make ice cream.

Normally we shook it back together and it was great.

The dairy industry made it illegal, so much so that if they catch you selling it they raid your house, take all the computers and search for all your money as if you were cooking meth.

Citing cases of people getting sick from it is useless because it is and was so rare, they just wanted a lock on the industry.

Now that it is illegal to sell, some cheeses made in the US are usually inferior to their foreign counterparts because the latter are made with real, whole, raw milk.

There is another thing but it is not easy to substantiate. There are no traces of it on the net, I would have to go to old newspaper articles and search through them. Some may remember that they started putting a virus in milk that feed on the bacteria that makes it spoil.

I don't know if they still do but you can test your milk. Leave it out to spoil. Now does it turn sour or bitter ?

There is much more to the legalities of food, and I am not talking restaurant requirements. There was an outfit caled Farm To Fork and they had a simple big dinner. The city shut them down on some technicalities.

In many cities it is illegal to give food to the homeless. You cna do it through a church, or if you own a restaurant but not just stand there and offer.

Some years ago partly due to the milk issue a superior court in Wisconsin ruled that people do not have the right to raise and eat the foods of their choice. In their opinion they said the plaintiffs, the ones who sued to be allowed to do it, had not developed their case. Aren't courts supposed to err on the side of people's rights ? I guess not there.

Well life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is not in the Constitution, it is in the Declaration. that means it describes the spirit of the law but is not law.

The law is too much into food except when it comes to clean restaurants. That I can go with, and even requiring those big hoods for fires.

I have seen plenty of Kitchen Nighmares where Ramsay goes into the big fridge and frezer and finds all kinds of rotten things. Don't they have inspections once in a while ? I mean moldy with rats crawling around. How many places do we go where our food is stored near that ?

Other than that, as long as it is clean they should be able to do what they want.

T

As small children, brother and I took turns in the mornings having the cream off the top of the milk on our weetabix. The good old days when the milk was left on the doorstep in bottles every morning.

Exactly the same here as a kid, I used to get up first and take the top cream off 3 bottles, mum used to go mad at me,lol. Milk in glas delivered by a boy and man in a truck.

Russ

I don't understand gooseberries, I grew up with bushes in out back yard, mum used to make jam/jelly out of it, I loved picking them when really ripe and turning red, super sweet.
I would have thought lots in murica??

Russ

I don't understand gooseberries, I grew up with bushes in out back yard, mum used to make jam/jelly out of it, I loved picking them when really ripe and turning red, super sweet.

Russ
We grew them here in Ohio when I was a kid. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We grew them here in Ohio when I was a kid. 🤷🏻‍♂️

thats what I thought? We had about 4 bushes along with black currants. My mum used to make a lot of jam/jelly, I guess that's why I make it here as well. And why we have raspberries canes fit jam, the home made raspberry jam is indescribable how tasty it is.

Russ

Russ
They apparently are carriers of white pine rust, which can decimate lumbar forests. I read a few articles. The feds have now left it up to the states to decide whether you can grow currant bushes now. It's pretty much only the lumbar dependent states now where it's illegal.

When raw milk separates what is on the bottom is skim milk. We used to use the cream on top to make ice cream.

Normally we shook it back together and it was great.

The dairy industry made it illegal, so much so that if they catch you selling it they raid your house, take all the computers and search for all your money as if you were cooking meth.

Citing cases of people getting sick from it is useless because it is and was so rare, they just wanted a lock on the industry.

Now that it is illegal to sell, some cheeses made in the US are usually inferior to their foreign counterparts because the latter are made with real, whole, raw milk.

There is another thing but it is not easy to substantiate. There are no traces of it on the net, I would have to go to old newspaper articles and search through them. Some may remember that they started putting a virus in milk that feed on the bacteria that makes it spoil.

I don't know if they still do but you can test your milk. Leave it out to spoil. Now does it turn sour or bitter ?

There is much more to the legalities of food, and I am not talking restaurant requirements. There was an outfit caled Farm To Fork and they had a simple big dinner. The city shut them down on some technicalities.

In many cities it is illegal to give food to the homeless. You cna do it through a church, or if you own a restaurant but not just stand there and offer.

Some years ago partly due to the milk issue a superior court in Wisconsin ruled that people do not have the right to raise and eat the foods of their choice. In their opinion they said the plaintiffs, the ones who sued to be allowed to do it, had not developed their case. Aren't courts supposed to err on the side of people's rights ? I guess not there.

Well life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is not in the Constitution, it is in the Declaration. that means it describes the spirit of the law but is not law.

The law is too much into food except when it comes to clean restaurants. That I can go with, and even requiring those big hoods for fires.

I have seen plenty of Kitchen Nighmares where Ramsay goes into the big fridge and frezer and finds all kinds of rotten things. Don't they have inspections once in a while ? I mean moldy with rats crawling around. How many places do we go where our food is stored near that ?

Other than that, as long as it is clean they should be able to do what they want.

T
Once again, raw milk is NOT banned in the US. Certain states may ban it, but not all. It just has to be labeled not for human consumption. What you do with it after you buy is your business.

Once again, raw milk is NOT banned in the US. Certain states may ban it, but not all. It just has to be labeled not for human consumption. What you do with it after you buy is your business.

Don't you have to buy it directly from a farm -- at least in many/most states?

CD

CD
The place we've gotten it from has farm in the name and they do grow some veges and fruits, but they are like a consortium that sells stuff from several places. They sold eggs from quail eggs to ostrich eggs as well. They have a place close to downtown Fort Lauderdale.

I haven't looked in a couple of years, but Whole Foods used to sell it labeled as pet food here.

My daughter was buying fresh, like that morning full milk from a hippy place up the Moutere valley a few years ago when we were up there on our hols.
I tried it fresh straight from the cow as s kid on a farm I was visiting with school. Yuk.

Russ

(...)

T
It's not easy to make everything clean in the restaurant, the food quality could decrease while the cook is cleaning the fridge permanently. We tried to overcome this with basic rules for everything, but even that solution doesn't work, the bugs, mold etc. is just part of our life. When we clean everything in the kitchen on highest speed, we develop other illnesses or get new problems.
Stay healthy

CD
They have a term for it here, I can't remember what it is, but you have to buy into a herd, like a herd co-op, then you're entitled to the raw milk, something along those lines, but it's not as simple as going to some market somewhere and picking up a carton of raw milk labeled "Not for human consumption."

It makes the news here occasionally. Apparently, Ohio is one of the stricter states, and every so often, they'll crack down on some family farm (frequently Amish) for selling raw milk.

Banned in quite a few states actually, but no it is not banned on a national level. Thanks for mentioning that so people know.

T

I was just talking about filè gumbo with Craig. Looked it up, the leaves do not contain the carcinogen so they can still be sold. BTW, not all gumbos use filè powder. Some use okra or just the roux as a thickener.

I will still use file powder when I make gumbo.

Mustard oil, I thought, was also banned, though I bought a bottle at an Indian grocery store about a year ago.

Shhhh...don’t tell the FDA if they start asking about me!

Back
Top Bottom