Recipe Bastille Day - French Recipes (apple tartin)

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
10:28 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Since the 14th of July is Bastille Day, what better way to celebrate than by sharing our favorite French recipes, am I right?! Feel free to share with us any French recipes you love!

I love a good apple tart tartin and this recipe I use couldn't be simpler, really!

INGREDIENTS:
1 sheet puff pastry

4 tbsp. salted butter

4 tbsp. granulated sugar

5-6 apples, peeled, cored and quartered (Golden Delicious apples are best)

Method:

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220c)

On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry and trim to fit the size of the pan you will be using for the tart. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

Heat pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the melted butter and cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture is a pale amber color. Remove pan from heat. Place apple quarters in the pan, on their sides, laying from the outer edge in. Fit in as many as possible.

Set pan to medium-high heat and cook until the apples become golden brown (10-15 minutes). Feel free to lift one out of the pan to check its color. Flip over each apple so the cooked edge faces up and the uncooked edge is face down in the caramel. Continue to cook until the caramel that bubbles up between the apples pieces is dark amber (8-10 more minutes).

Grab trimmed puff pastry from the refrigerator. Cut 4 slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Remove pan from stovetop and lay pastry over apples. Place into preheated oven and bake 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.

Carefully remove pan from oven and immediately invert onto a cooling rack. If desired, place a baking sheet under the cooling rack to catch any drips.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom