Beans go with...

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:22 AM
I was thinking today that beans seem to go with almost anything. I'm talking savoury but no doubt there are sweet applications. Is there anything they don't go with? They seem to be the most versatile of ingredients, dried or fresh. What do you put beans with?

Baked beans exist here in the form of Heinz. It is possible to purchase the English flavouring of Heinz Baked Beans and an Australian version which has less sugar in it and which I actually prefer. My UK preferred version was Weight Watchers but that is only available here in the smallest of impractical tins at $$s Beans and Cheese on toast was a favourite when I could have a limited amount of dairy still. I have to drop the cheese now, but switch it out for an egg. Its a great quick meal.

As to what beans don't go with. I can't think of much tbh. I have desserts, cakes and things like chocolate brownies that use black beans (or for that matter any bean) and plenty of pates that use any white bean. There are recipes on here for both I do believe.

Red beans and rice. Black beans with Cuban food and leftovers make great re-fried beans. BBQ beans for most any BBQ meats. Cassoulet.

Yup, we love baked beans on toast here as well, but we love it with 2 poached eggs on top. Lotsa pepper and lotsa butter on the toast. I also will eat a whole can cold if I get the munchies at midnight,lol. It's a kiwi thing and we have prolly once a week? Actually maybe I might have now for my brekky?

Russ
Baked beans on toast is a British favourite. Do our American friends eat beans on toast or is it a Brit thing? Do you eat this in New Zealand @rascal? Or in Australia @Frizz1974, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

Baked beans and toast for breakfast, never on toast - I can't stand soggy toast. I sometimes have them for lunch too, with a couple of eggs, or for dinner with sausages or bacon etc. Dried and soaked or canned beans get used in soups, stews, middle eastern food, or curries.

Beans on toast for breakfast, probably three or four times a week. It's on my 'to do' list to have a go at making them from scratch and cut Heinz out of the equation.

Beans on toast for breakfast, probably three or four times a week. It's on my 'to do' list to have a go at making them from scratch and cut Heinz out of the equation.

That is a lot! I think its really easy to make them but I doubt you will get them to taste exactly like Heinz. Boston baked bean recipes will give you something similar and, in my view, tastier.

Canned baked beans in tomato sauce are a cheap nutritious staple for low income families here in Aus. Aldi has them for 69c.

Jaffles with beans & cheese. Delicious

I make a slow cooker version with a ham hock, tomato, onion, garlic, maple syrup or treacle, smoked paprika, a tiny bit of cumin.

With an egg on top it’s a fab low carb dish.

My recipe started from Jamie in America cookbook

Back
Top Bottom