2 tbsp tahini
1-2 tbsp lemon juice, according to taste
200 g Swiss chard, white stems cut into 4 x 1 cm slices, and leaves shredded
400 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
100 g pomegranate seeds
Handful of chopped almonds (optional)
Flatbreads, to serve

Method:
  1. Heat the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the peppercorns and fry lightly for about a minute until fragrant. Add the rice and stir well to coat with butter; then add the boiling water. Cover, turn the heat down, and simmer for about 25 minutes until the water has evaporated.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Add the garlic to the yoghurt and whip until smooth. Then stir in the tahini and the lemon juice, and mix well.
  3. In another pan, add the chard stems to boiling water, cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the stems are soft. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
  4. Heat the cannellini beans in water, and keep warm.
  5. When the rice is cooked, fork through and put on a large plate. Cover with the chard stems, and pour over the tahini sauce. Arrange the beans, shredded chard leaves, and pomegranate seeds on top of the sauce. Season to taste, and, if used, sprinkle the chopped nuts over.
  6. Serve with flatbreads.

There are quite a few things I really like about this recipe! Firstly, the whole peppercorns in the rice (why isn't the rice entered for the current Spice Challenge?).
Secondly, the yoghurt and tahini mix; creamy but not cloying, which tahini can be in some combinations. Thirdly, the dazzle and contrast in taste of those pomegranate seeds on the creamy tahini mix.

I will be giving this a go - and its vegan if I use vegan yoghurt and olive oil instead of butter.

There are quite a few things I really like about this recipe! Firstly, the whole peppercorns in the rice (why isn't the rice entered for the current Spice Challenge?).
Secondly, the yoghurt and tahini mix; creamy but not cloying, which tahini can be in some combinations. Thirdly, the dazzle and contrast in taste of those pomegranate seeds on the creamy tahini mix.

I will be giving this a go - and its vegan if I use vegan yoghurt and olive oil instead of butter.

The yoghurt and tahini mix was surprisingly light. I was surprised because the tahini was really thick, almost to the point of being a block rather than a paste, but I gave the sauce a good stir when I first added it, then let it stand for several minutes before adding the lemon juice and stirring it again.

Serves: 2

This is a unique use of Pomegranate, the raw arils used as a topping. I had thought that one might put them in a small cup as a side to a meal. Your recipe has a good variety in it and is a uniquely different type of meal for me. Good job and thank you for your contribution to the challenge.

This is a unique use of Pomegranate, the raw arils used as a topping. I had thought that one might put them in a small cup as a side to a meal. Your recipe has a good variety in it and is a uniquely different type of meal for me. Good job and thank you for your contribution to the challenge.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom