Beef Knuckle

CraigC

Guru
Local time
8:44 AM
Has anyone every heard of or cooked beef knuckle? I bought a whole one once and cooked it on the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill. It made fantastic roast beef. We had to slice, vacuum pack and freeze most of it as the thing weight 12 pounds. Made great steak sandwiches, both cold and open faced with gravy.

Looking this up in the UK I came up with these - does it resemble the first image?

beef-knucckle-600x600.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 15.56.25.png

We know this as top rump/thick flank in the UK. Is a great, flavoursome piece of meat - sounds like you had the whole joint!

No clue. All I know is it made a great roast beef. Why do some people call it chayote and some call it mirliton?

It seems that mirliton is from the French, ‘reed pipe’. Chayote is Mexican Spanish. Delightfully off topic, my fault!

mir·li·ton
(mîr′lĭ-tŏn′, mîr-lē-tôN′)
n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana
See chayote.
[Louisiana French, (perhaps from the kazoolike shape of chayote fruit) from French mirliton, coin, reed pipe with avibrating membrane, kazoo, perhaps from a song refrain (such as mireli, mirela, refrain of the popular 16th-centurysong "Dessus le marché d'Arras" describing a man offering money to a young woman for her favors).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Back
Top Bottom