Recipe Beef Tenderloin Steak and Gravy Sandwiches on Homemade Buttermilk Burger Buns

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:41 PM
This recipe elevates a simple steak sandwich into something decadent to enjoy! I used a beef tenderloin roast marinated in a soy based marinade, but any good steak of your preference will do. I piled the tender, thin beef strips smothered in provolone cheese and ladeled a mushroom, peppers, and onion gravy atop toasted homemade buttermilk buns. It was messy to eat, but delicious!

Recipe makes two very large steak sandwiches

Ingredients:
2 burger buns Recipe - Buttermilk Sandwich/Burger Buns
Approximately 12 ounces of tenderloin steak strips or other steak, cooked rare
1/2 bell pepper (I used orange)
1/2 onion (I used red)
1/2 lb mushrooms (I used button)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 slices of provolone cheese
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup Beef Stock (for the gravy)
Salt and pepper for the gravy (to taste)
Prepared horseradish (optional)

Instructions:
I marinated the beef tenderloin roast in a soy based marinade with McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning for several hours. I seared it in my cast iron skillet on very high heat for 3 minutes on each side (rare), then removed it from the pan to allow it to rest and cool. While the roast was cooling, I used the drippings, some flour, beef stock, salt, and pepper (to taste) to make a gravy, cooking on low heat and stirring constantly until thickened, then removed from heat.

Chop the pepper, mushrooms, and onion into small pieces and saute with olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.

When the vegetables are cooked and the onions are translucent, pour the gravy into the pan with sauteed vegetables and blend thoroughly. Cover the pan with a lid and turn down to the warm setting.

Toast the buttermilk burger buns.

Slice steak into thin strips. Put the butter into a hot skillet on high heat (I used cast iron) and pile the beef strips the same circumference as the buns on top of the butter and cover with provolone cheese. Put any leftover steak into an airtight container in the refrigerator for future use.

When the cheese is thoroughly melted, place the meat on the toasted bun using a sturdy spatula, then spoon hot gravy on top. Add horseradish or eat as is. You might want to eat this with a knife and fork, and make sure you have plenty of napkins!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom