Recipe Beer Butt Chicken

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:06 PM
With all the low and slow BBQ I have done over the years, this is a first for me. I have re-purposed the Basic Chicken Rub from the cupcake thighs to use for this "Yard Bird".

Basic Chicken Rub
Ingredients
2/3 cup chili powder
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons onion powder
4 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Small whole chicken
16 oz can of beer
Chicken stock

Directions
Bring smoker to 300F
1) In a large bowl, combine the rub ingredients thoroughly. You can store this rub in an airtight container indefinitely. I use the food processor to combine the rub ingredients. It breaks up any lumps.
2) Rinse the chicken, trim excess skin and fat, pat dry inside and out.
3) Apply rub inside and out.
4) Open beer and place in cavity.
5) Place chicken, with can on a pan filled with chicken stock in the smoker.
6) Cook until an instant read thermometer reads 175F in the thick part of the thigh. I let the temperature get to 198F as I intend to "pull" the chicken meat from the bones. Trust me it won't dry out.
7) Remove from smoker and let rest.
8) Carve and and serve.

The raw ingredients
36788-albums1110-picture7244.jpg

Chicken ready for the smoker
36788-albums1110-picture7245.jpg

The BGE with charcoal briquettes and cherry chunks
36788-albums1110-picture7246.jpg

Chimney with charcoal briquettes
36788-albums1110-picture7247.jpg

After 2-1/2 hours the chicken is done. I put a little something as a side about an hour into the cook.
36788-albums1110-picture7256.jpg

Ready to cut up. We are saving the chicken to "pull" and have as another meal. Smoked chicken is always nice to have on hand.
36788-albums1110-picture7257.jpg

With all the low and slow BBQ I have done over the years, this is a first for me. I have re-purposed the Basic Chicken Rub from the cupcake thighs to use for this "Yard Bird".

So ... question ... do you put the bird on top of a 'closed' beer can that pops open and sprays while cooking?

So ... question ... do you put the bird on top of a 'closed' beer can that pops open and sprays while cooking?

The top is popped before insertion. I want to actually eat the chicken not launch it or blow it up.:eek::D That reminds me of a turkey stuffing recipe which calls for raw popcorn. You know the turkey is done when the popcorn blows its arse out.:whistling:

Oh boy...fun things to do with the smoker once the weather improves! I bought a smoker just as the weather started getting cold, and I also have a book on smoking that I won in the Spice Challenge. I'll make sure I'm ready to go as soon as the weather breaks!

Back
Top Bottom