Recipe Beet & carrot savoury cupcakes

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
6:03 PM
The learning basis was a Misskabaki recipe, with my alternations. She had a cake recipe, I opted for mini cupcakes. The cupcakes are bite sized, could be a snack, or an addition to a meal. All herbs and spices are to one's taste. This is a vegan version. Chia can be left out if using eggs, or not.

Ingredients:
1 medium sized beet
2 medium sized carrots
4 g ground dry coriander
5 g onion powder
3 g curry powder mix (store bought)
3 g smoked ground mild paprika
10 g cumin seeds
4 g dry dill
5 g dry basil
50 g ground walnuts
10 g chia+soaked in 70 ml tapid water
100 g oats, rapidly boiled in 150 ml water, using only the water as 'oat milk'
3-4 pinches of salt, or to taste
140 g spelt flour
160 g wholegrain wheat flour
100 ml olive oil
3 g baking powder

Method:

Peel and grate the beet and carrot.
Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Add salt, walnuts, herbs and spices. Mix.
Add soaked chia, flour, baking powder, oil, oat milk (I did not use up all 130 ml of it, about 100 ml went in to a smooth, thick consistency). Mix.
Fill the cupcake paper forms.
Bake for about 40 minutes.

The cupcakes did not rise. Serve with condiments of your liking, a yoghurty or oily dressing, or mayo dressing, or vegan versions of it, or a spicy chilly oil.

I chopped a raw garlic, with a bit of salt and olive oil, sprinkled with sunflower seeds, and had a mixed fresh salad alongside.

It was my first time using beet as a cake ingredient, I really enjoyed tasting it raw and having it ready for snacks to take along to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great portable snack and walnuts are my favourite nuts. I love the combination of spices and herbs. Chia isn't on my favourites list but I can see how it would provide 'body' for these savouries. As you say, egg could be substituted for a non-vegan version.

A great portable snack and walnuts are my favourite nuts. I love the combination of spices and herbs. Chia isn't on my favourites list but I can see how it would provide 'body' for these savouries. As you say, egg could be substituted for a non-vegan version.
Absolutely, now thinking about it, pancetta cubes or similar could also be added in...options are open.
Thank you for the review.

Back
Top Bottom