Recipe Beetroot pickle with allspice

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:05 AM
Another recipe developed in my quest to use allspice more often! I was very pleased by this one, as the combination of allspice and cinnamon is quite magical. I made this to serve with veggie burgers. But it would also go well with game pate for a starter. This recipe is for a small quantity of pickle but could easily be scaled up.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cooked beetroot, peeled and cut into smallish chunks
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar (you can use other vinegars)
  • salt to taste

METHOD:
Mix the sugar and spices into the vinegar and heat gently until sugar dissolves.
Mix in beetroot. Leave to cool and marinade for at least an hour. Its better next day.
Will keep for 5 days in the fridge and probably far longer if put in a sterilised jar.

Looks good but I prefer having my beets raw. Unlike most people I like the taste of them raw to the taste. I could try this recipe though, since it seems rather interesting to cook. Will have to try this out some time.

Looks good but I prefer having my beets raw. Unlike most people I like the taste of them raw to the taste. I could try this recipe though, since it seems rather interesting to cook. Will have to try this out some time.
You ought to team up with @classic33 (he also eats raw beetroot). Best way to cook the beetroot is in their skins in the oven, then the skin comes off quite easily. If you put the beetroot into the dressing whilst still warm, it helps the flavour develop.

You ought to team up with @classic33 (he also eats raw beetroot). Best way to cook the beetroot is in their skins in the oven, then the skin comes off quite easily. If you put the beetroot into the dressing whilst still warm, it helps the flavour develop.
Nowt wrong with eating it raw.

At home we pickle loads of beetroot ,I keep my spices whole or cracked,all spice ,chilli flakes,corriander seed,the first beets to be eaten we slice and the latter stuff we chunk,star anise goes well as does ginger,Im Chucking boiled eggs in with it this year !

At home we pickle loads of beetroot ,I keep my spices whole or cracked,all spice ,chilli flakes,corriander seed,the first beets to be eaten we slice and the latter stuff we chunk,star anise goes well as does ginger,Im Chucking boiled eggs in with it this year !
Pink eggs! I like the idea of star anise and chilli (of course).

What size beetroot are you using? Mine vary in size dramatically and I have a few going spare at the moment that need using up.
It doesn't matter what size. The one's I use are a bit smaller than a tennis ball. I bake them in the oven whole, then peel. Obviously the smaller they are the less time they take to bake.

Back
Top Bottom