Before And After!

cooking it would change some of those figures as well because some nutrients are more available to the body after cooking than before... so I all I can think of is something that is already cooked, that is then baked and salted? I really don't know right now. Will have to think on it.
I know what you mean - but this is a low calorie food. So it must be a fruit or veg? What veg or fruit do we cook and salt? I'm flummoxed! Pickled cucumbers? But they aren't orangey coloured.

I know what you mean - but this is a low calorie food. So it must be a fruit or veg? What veg or fruit do we cook and salt? I'm flummoxed! Pickled cucumbers? But they aren't orangey coloured.
You certain?
Orange Cucumber.jpg

http://nutgraf.net/2008/07/20/do-not-mock-the-enormous-orange-cucumber/

Water 87.5g before. Water 90.2g, after.

For those interested in the answer, its a carrot, boiled in salt water.

I think if it was dried then reconstituted then the Kcals would be very different. At least I think so - unless the calorie information is referring to what happens to 100grams when it is reconstituted (and not its reconstituted weight which would be heavier than 100g). This is impossible to explain, but I know what I mean!

Let me try again. 100g of dried apple has 240 Kcals. If you reconstitute them they will weigh more than 100g but will have the same 240 calories. So dried fruit is more calorific per 100g than reconstituted or fresh fruit.
But the figures are both for 100 g though!

But the figures are both for 100 g though!
Well yes, in the case of the carrots boiled or unboiled I suppose they wouldn't increase in weight. But I was responding to @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's thoughts that it might be a dried fruit or veg. Because the Kcal content was similar before and after (per 100g), I deduced (correctly) that it couldn't be a dried then reconstituted item.

Back
Top Bottom