Beginner

Lauren Chaste

Veteran
Local time
5:57 PM
I heard that it could make you sick to go from eating meats to randomly stopping?
I'm not sure how accurate that is, I want to become a vegetarian.

Stopping suddenly is not the best way to turn vegetarian, but not because it will make you ill, far from it unless you don't actually know anything about nutrition and health. You need to learn what being a vegetarian is about. It is a complete change of way of life even if you are only becoming a dietary vegetarian and not taking up the lifestyle completely (so no leather shoes for example and not using products tested on animals).

The biggest obstacles to turning vegetarian overnight (something I did 30 yrs ago) is relying to much on dairy for alternatives to meat (usually cheese) and not eating a wide enough range of veg to ensure you get enough iron in your diet. Hitting dairy for the meat alternative (just look at vegetarian options on menus in restaurants and see how many of them contain dairy) will massively increase your saturated fat intake and hence calorie intake and at the same time leave you with very little iron. You need to do some work first and learn about nutrition and more importantly why you want to be vegetarian.

It won't make you sick, but @SatNavSaysStraightOn says, you need to think about what you should eat for a balanced diet. I have friends who have stayed in a vegetarian resort and they were fine, many people eat a vegetarian meal without realizing it. The best thing to do is use carbohydrates as a staple, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread, then work a dish around them to begin with. I started with veggie/garden burgers and used them to work a meal around, with potatoes and vegetables.

Looking at the vegetarian section in the supermarket can give you ideas and see what meal options there are.

I heard that it could make you sick to go from eating meats to randomly stopping?
I'm not sure how accurate that is, I want to become a vegetarian.
I stopped cold turkey, and I turned out fine, The funny part about the human body is that in can get use to the toxic foods, and when you stop eating them the body can have an adverse reaction to it, but it usually won't last long if it happens at all.

All I keep doing is checking these threads from time to time and on the odd occasion picking up something in the supermarket. While I was in the supermarket recently I picked up some vegan pasta. I have not prepared it as yet. Because it was very pricey I know I won't leave it to go bad on me. I just know at least a vegetarian way would be a good way to look at improving my health but a plan is hard to develop thus far.

All I keep doing is checking these threads from time to time and on the odd occasion picking up something in the supermarket. While I was in the supermarket recently I picked up some vegan pasta. I have not prepared it as yet. Because it was very pricey I know I won't leave it to go bad on me. I just know at least a vegetarian way would be a good way to look at improving my health but a plan is hard to develop thus far.

Do you mean a pasta ready meal including the sauce? I'm wondering what is special about it and why it cost so much. Lots of pasta is made without eggs and contains just flour and/or semolina and water and is therefore vegan. Macaroni, for example, is usually vegan. Just check the ingredients on the pack. Its also pretty easy to make a vegan sauce to go with it. There are lots of examples using a tomato based sauce with various added vegetables. Or if you want a creamy sauce as a base, make a simple roux using flour and vegetable margarine and add almond milk or soya milk.

Do you mean a pasta ready meal including the sauce? I'm wondering what is special about it and why it cost so much. Lots of pasta is made without eggs and contains just flour and/or semolina and water and is therefore vegan. Macaroni, for example, is usually vegan. Just check the ingredients on the pack. Its also pretty easy to make a vegan sauce to go with it. There are lots of examples using a tomato based sauce with various added vegetables. Or if you want a creamy sauce as a base, make a simple roux using flour and vegetable margarine and add almond milk or soya milk.

No Morning Glory. It's not a ready meal. I am not big on ready meals. It's the pasta itself. The last vegan thing that I got ready done was a cookie mix. It was delicious as I remember. Everything vegan is expensive around here and if it comes from the health shops where you find more options it's worse. I have noted your suggestions and thank you. I just hope I don't have to eat all of what I prepare. The others here are not fans of pasta especially when it is healthier.

@winterybella are you vegan or vegetarian or are you cooking for a vegan or vegetarian? I am confused.

I am neither SatNavSaysStraightOn, As I suggested earlier I keep coming back to the subject out of curiosity/interest because I have thought it's perhaps a good thing. I got interested in the Vegan conversation last year when my son was suspected of having Chron's disease. The doctor had suggested that he consider the vegan way if he was diagnosed with the condition. So from time to time, I'll pick up something on the odd occasion when I am in the supermarket. Then sometimes when I am in the mall I would check out what the health shop has to offer.

I am neither SatNavSaysStraightOn, As I suggested earlier I keep coming back to the subject out of curiosity/interest because I have thought it's perhaps a good thing. I got interested in the Vegan conversation last year when my son was suspected of having Chron's disease. The doctor had suggested that he consider the vegan way if he was diagnosed with the condition. So from time to time, I'll pick up something on the odd occasion when I am in the supermarket. Then sometimes when I am in the mall I would check out what the health shop has to offer.
That makes more sense now. Thank you. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom