TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:49 PM
BEST* BEEF STEW
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tsp)
4 anchovy fillets, minced fine (about 2 tsp)
1 TBsp tomato paste
1 (4-pound) chuck-eye roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
2 TBsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/8-inch thick
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup unbleached AP flour
2 cups red wine (good-quality medium-bodied wine, such as a Côtes du Rhône or Pinot Noir)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 oz salt pork, rinsed if excess salt
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 pound Yukon Good potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1-1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, (thawed)
2 tsp (about 1 packet) unflavored powdered gelatin
1/2 cup water
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Table salt and ground black pepper

Directions
Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 300F. Combine the garlic and anchovies in a small bowl and press the mixture with the back of a fork to form a paste. Stir in the tomato paste and set the mixture aside.

Pat the meat dry with paper towels (do not season the meat). Heat 1 TBsp of the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat until just starting to smoke. Add half the beef and cook until well browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total, reducing the heat if the oil begins to smoke or the fond begins to burn. Transfer the beef to a large plate. Repeat with the remaining 1 TBsp vegetable oil and remaining beef, leaving the second batch of beef in the pot after browning.

Reduce the heat to medium and return the first batch of beef to the pot. Add the onion and carrots to the pot and stir to combine with the beef. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits, until the onion is softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until no dry flour remains, about 30 seconds.

Slowly add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Increase the heat to high and allow the wine to simmer until thickened and slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, salt pork, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover, transfer to the oven, and cook for 1-1/2 hours.

Remove the pot from the oven. Remove and discard the bay leaves and salt pork. Stir in the potatoes, cover, return the pot to the oven, and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, about 45 minutes.

Using a large spoon, skim any excess fat from the surface of the stew. Stir in the pearl onions. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes and onions are cooked through and the meat offers little resistance when poked with a fork (the meat should not be falling apart), about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and allow to soften for 5 minutes.

Increase the heat to high and stir in the softened gelatin mixture and the peas. Simmer until the gelatin is fully dissolved and the stew is thickened, about three minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. The stew can be cooled, covered tightly, and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat it gently before serving.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

*I have a real issue with people naming things "Best This" and "Best That," it really gets up my butt. They may feel it's the best, but you or I or any number of other people may not, and I think it's proper to let the people making a recipe decide for themselves.

BEST* BEEF STEW

*I have a real issue with people naming things "Best This" and "Best That," it really gets up my butt. They may feel it's the best, but you or I or any number of other people may not, and I think it's proper to let the people making a recipe decide for themselves.

My recipe for beef stew has 8 ingredients (plus dumplings) and four short paragraphs of cooking instructions. Admittedly the preparation and cooking time is around 4 hours (only about 40 minutes being work). This recipe is far too complicated for me and I would struggle to obtain many of the ingredients.

This ingredient surprised me. Is it there the thicken the gravy? Or is a texture thing?
Ok, the answer lies in their "Why This Recipe Works" intro:

The taste of beef stew is rarely as complex as its rich aroma would lead you to believe. We wanted a rich-tasting but approachable beef stew with tender meat, flavorful vegetables, and a rich brown gravy that justified the time it took to prepare.

Step one for achieving rich meaty flavor is proper browning. If you crowd the pan, the meat ends up steaming in its own juices, so for a big pot of stew, it's important to sear the meat in two separate batches. After browning the beef (beefy-tasting chuck-eye is our preferred cut for stew), we caramelized the usual choices of onions and carrots, rather than just adding them raw to the broth.

Along with traditional stew components like garlic, red wine, and chicken broth, we added ingredients rich in glutamates like tomato paste, salt pork, and anchovies. Glutamates are compounds that give meat its savory taste and they contribute considerable flavor to the dish. To mimic the luxurious, mouth-coating texture of beef stews made with homemade stock (provided by the collagen in bones that is transformed into gelatin when simmered), we included powdered gelatin and flour. The rest of the recipe was simple. We added frozen pearl onions toward the end of cooking along with some frozen peas. As for potatoes, medium-starch Yukon Golds added halfway through cooking beat out starchy russets.

my own experience indicates the more ingredients, the less likely it works.
ATK pages of stuff is simply nutso, imho.
beef, well browned, salt + fgbp + 2-3 seasonings, absolute tops.
beer is an excellent braise medium - or water+wine (all wine, not so much....)

many people think "browning" the meat means making it turn color from pink/red to brown. this is really bad.
browning needs to put a seared crust on the meat for max flavor development. given the (later) wet braise, the crust essentially dissolves.

I have two "musts" for pork/beef braised dishes:

#1 - make it a double. long braise, cool/refrigerate, light simmer next day for 2-3 hours. this really really really breaks down the connective tissues/collagen for a tender meat result. I do this with top round - #1 on the 'toughest beef cuts' list - and it comes apart with a fork.

#2 - on a slow day, I make a dark roux, spread thin, freeze, break into chunks, bag for later use.
stick of butter (8T) plus 8T flour.
it takes _time_ to make a dark roux - it's not an ala' minute thing. a blonde roux, yes. medium to dark to brick, no.
one can convert the thinnest / watery-est stew 'broth' to a very respectable gravy with chunks of a dark roux.

I'll second/third/umpteenth the Better than Bouillon products. with the caveat - get the 'low salt' versions. the originals are pretty much jars of 98% NaCl - that'd choke anyone.... very convenient for 1-2 cups of broth/stock.

Back
Top Bottom