Best budget gadgets & tools

My mandoline does a julienne cut, but I don't use it enough to remember the trick to get it to do so, and they don't explain it in the little manual very well (it's German), so I have to go out to YT, find their company video, and fast-forward to the part that shows it. I actually have a little notation in the manual that says "YT, 9:34" so I know what spot to fast-forward to. :laugh:

I should mention my stick blender - it cost £13.99 ($17). I use it a lot as I don't have a food processor. In fact, I wouldn't be without it. For a lot of things it is much easier and better than food processor and with minimal washing up.

1589488239176.png

I have a Cuisinart stick blender that I got for free, trading in loyalty points at my bank or credit card or something.

It's...ok. I use it to zap soups, mainly. I haven't found good results with making much else with it (pesto, whipped cream, salsa). Haven't tried mayo yet.

So I have never seen a lime with seeds? How do they propigate, anyway? I see lots of lemons with seeds but no limes...

I should mention my stick blender - it cost £13.99 ($17). I use it a lot as I don't have a food processor. In fact, I wouldn't be without it. For a lot of things it is much easier and better than food processor and with minimal washing up.

View attachment 40755

I have one almost like that one, I use it a lot, for jams and sauces.

Russ

I just discovered this little beauty and had to have it. Magic Wand . Now I will feel like Tinkerbell when distributing powdered sugar.

You could just use a sieve. Well that is what I do - in fact I use a little mesh tea strainer. But if you are enjoying wafting your magic wand that's what counts! :)

I have a Cuisinart stick blender that I got for free, trading in loyalty points at my bank or credit card or something.

It's...ok. I use it to zap soups, mainly. I haven't found good results with making much else with it (pesto, whipped cream, salsa). Haven't tried mayo yet.

I make foams with mine sometimes and sauces quite often. It will make mayo quite easily, whip cream etc. It will blitz soft fruit in a trice. Some stick blenders are much better than others. Its best to get one with a powerful motor.

The worst gadget I've ever had, my sister gave it to me, was a little plastic doo-dad, think of a small yo-yo (minus the string) that housed a little round blade, like a very tiny pizza cutter.

It was meant to mince garlic. Put down a peeled clove, then roll the blade back and forth and...POOF!...perfectly minced garlic.

A couple of problems: you needed a peeled clove, and that peeled clove needed to be chopped or smashed up enough in order for the little gadget to be able to roll over it, so for most people, that meant getting out your knife anyway.

Then, you know how sticky garlic is...half the minced garlic would ride the blade up into the housing, and you'd have to disassemble it to get it out, and that involved trying to scrape it off a very sharp blade in a very tight space.

Completely useless.

I've never come across ANY garlic mincing gadget that is quicker or better than using a knife. Smash the clove with the flat of the knife, chop and 20 seconds later you have minced garlic, and a knife is way easier to clean than any gadget.

I've never come across ANY garlic mincing gadget that is quicker or better than using a knife. Smash the clove with the flat of the knife, chop and 20 seconds later you have minced garlic, and a knife is way easier to clean than any gadget.
That's how I am with most gadgets - I think they can be replaced with the right knife and a little know-how.

Back
Top Bottom