Best way to reheat chickpea and couscous curry

Amateur1

Local time
2:07 PM
I'm thinking of adding cous cous to this recipe
Creamy Coconut Chickpea Couscous Curry

How long after it's ready should I wait before freezing? I usually take things out the pan and put into plastic freezer containers within 5 minutes of cooking them.
If I freeze the leftovers, what's the best way to reheat?
I've frozen chickpea curry before, I'm concerned about the couscous.

1, that recipe already has couscous in it.

2, What is it you are worried about wrt freezing it or defrosting it? If I gave you a bowl of pasta, how would you reheat that? Couscous is after all just another type pasta. It is simply steamed small grains of durum wheat. Nothing 'special'.

As with all freezing of anything, you freeze it as soon as possible after it has reached room temperature.

Reheating couscous needs a few extra tablespoons of water adding and the zapping in the microwave until streaming hot. However it would be in your curry sauce already so just add a touch more liquid before freezing and reheat from frozen.

As with rice and other grains if left out on the worktop bacteria and other "bugs" will start to grow, so freeze as soon as possible and ensure it is piping hot when reheated.

But looking at that recipe, several things strike me immediately. I'm really hoping you're not thinking that this is a healthy recipe because it's vegan? It isn't healthy. The first thing that strikes meis 3tbsp of coconut sugar, I don't really understand why it has sugar in it in any form at all, and then there's a lot of coconut milk. The recipe has a huge amount of calories per portion for very little protein (13g), and a considerable amount of fat (37g), and worse still, saturated fat (27g) (from the coconut milk). It might taste good but I wouldn't be considering that a healthy meal in this household. For one, where is the veg? All you have in there are 1 can of chickpeas and that's 1 can between 4 servings, that's not even a full portion in your 5 a day. It's only just at 50-55g of 80g of 1 of your 5 a day and you've wasted 580kcal and acquired a lot of saturated fat in the process. Half a cup of carrots is around 85g, so 1 medium sized carrot between 4 portions isn't going to go a long way to helping with healthy eating. Similarly with the onion. That might be ½ an onion between 4 portions. A single serving of any veg including onions and carrots on the NHS 5 a day is 80g which is roughly half a medium onion or an entire medium sized carrot.

Sorry. I'd be looking at cutting the coconut milk a long way back (½ to 1 cup at the most) and using a non-dairy milk such as almond milk to increase the fluid to original volumes. I'd also be looking at increasing the chickpeas, probably by doubling the content or adding in something like yellow split peas to increase the overall bean/pea content to a full 80g portion each serving. I'd use an entire onion minimum and probably 4 medium carrots as well.. that way you'd have a healthier meal with more veg servings, more protein, less fat/saturated fat and fewer calories, so you can serve it with something else.

Thank you very much. I will adapt is as you suggest. My concern was reheating. Usually I take it out the freezer, put it in the fridge for a few hours then reheat on the hob. Is it OK to do that if I add some water. Is it healthier than simply microwaving it?
I was concerned that adding water would impair the flavour.

Last edited:
The added water will rehydrate the couscous which could dry out during reheating exactly the same way that pasta dehydrates when it is reheated (unless it is just plain cooked pasta and you bung it in boiling water and re-drain it which is my approach).

The curry will reheat directly from the freezer, but you'll lose nothing by putting it in the fridge for a few hours if that's your routine (such as getting out of the freezer and putting it into the fridge as you go to work, so that it is mostly defrosted by the time you get home).

Personally I'd add the extra water prior to freezing it because people have a tendency to forgot little things like that in a month or two down the line when you pull it out of the freezer unless you actually write on it that it needs extra water prior to reheating.

The volume of water will depend on if you reheat with it covered or uncovered but either way it won't hugely influence the flavour. We're not talking about half a litre but a few tablespoons per serving. Most of that will come off as steam either when you stir it through part way reheating or at the end when transferring it to a plate it bowl etc.

Back
Top Bottom