Biscuit/cookies sizes

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:05 AM
Ok, we call them biscuits down here. Cookies in murica, I love a biscuit here called kingstons. Coconut and a creme filling. Daughter bought a couple of packets, man the sizes are so small. Here's a pic of my morning snack, a cup,of tea with a home cooked chic chip biscuit and two store bought kingstons. The size is I guess for maximum profit. The small sizes are roughly half the size I remember. The bigger one is bigger than normal, so one extreme to the other. Can't beat home cooked.

Russ

Well I suppose if they are smaller you can have more!

My observations are that cookies (US) tend to be larger than the normal biscuits sold in packets in the UK. The latter tend to be more the size of the smaller ones pictured above.

That home baked one looks very good rascal.

Well I suppose if they are smaller you can have more!

My observations are that cookies (US) tend to be larger than the normal biscuits sold in packets in the UK. The latter tend to be more the size of the smaller ones pictured above.

That home baked one looks very good rascal.

Wife bought a couple home from her work. The small ones are nothing like I remember they used to be. I remember juice sachets wife used to buy. 100gm makes 1 litre. Then 2 years later I noticed 90gms to make a litre. Now it's even smaller and says makes a litre, no weight? The world is downsizing.!!

Russ

Sandwich cookies here tend to be smaller because it's two cookies, so each cookie is half the size. I'll comment that homemade cookie looks a bit on the large side to me. :)

For me, the "perfect" cookie size is that of a Hob Nob. Not too small, not to big, it's just right.

Favorite store-bought cookies...I'm pretty easy - I like vanilla sandwich cookies. Favorite common homemade cookie would be an oatmeal-raisin cookie or a sugar cookie.

I worked at a cookie factory for about two months - the kind of place that made cookies for other companies that used cookies (like when the ice cream makers sell ice cream cookie sandwiches, they used our cookies). They also made cookies for institutions (prisons, schools, senior homes).

My job was to manually enter all their cookie recipes into a new computer system. The interesting part was that every recipe was scaled to make exactly one cookie, so they could easily compute any number of cookies. A typical recipe would look like:

.1286 grams sugar
.0177 grams raisins

Also, I learned that some cookies for senior homes and hospitals were made specially for people who don't produce as much saliva as younger people, because our saliva production drops as we age, and lower salvia amounts makes it harder to break down and chew regular cookies.

One benefit of working there - literally all the cookies I could eat, free of charge. They had a little outlet shop that sold seconds of baked and pre-formed frozen cookies, and there were always plates of fresh-baked cookies out, and I could eat as many as I wanted, and take home whatever I wanted. When I left on my last day, they loaded my car down with trays and trays of frozen cookies and bags and bags of baked cookies.

They also had so many flavors and combinations - things I'd never dreamed of. My all-time favorite cookie was one from there: oatmeal with rice crispies, dried cranberries, and white chocolate bits. Simply divine.

Last edited:
My favourite biscuits are super plain: Rich Tea, Marie,
I worked at a cookie factory for about two months - the kind of place that made cookies for other companies that used cookies (like when the ice cream makers sell ice cream cookie sandwiches, they used our cookies). They also made cookies for institutions (prisons, schools, senior homes).

My job was to manually enter all their cookie recipes into a new computer system. The interesting part was that every recipe was scaled to make exactly one cookie, so they could easily compute any number of cookies. A typical recipe would look like:

.1286 grams sugar
.0177 grams raisins

Fascinating - a new thread about 'have you ever worked with food?' comes to mind...

I very rarely have biscuits - I like very plain biscuits to dunk in tea (good reason for smaller sized biscuits). So my favourites are plain Rich Tea or similar. Trouble is I will eat too many... and even plain biscuits add up in calories if you eat more than one or two. So, its easier not to have them in the house.

Back
Top Bottom