Black Bean Brownies

Amateur1

Local time
8:22 PM
I saw this recipe at https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
It says 2 tbsp or 10 grams.
Do you think it should be 2 tablespoons or 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder?
Also, could I omit the chocolate chips by increasing the amount of cocoa?
Does it make any difference if I use cocoa or cacao powder?
If cocoa is simply roasted cacao, is baking the equivalent of roasting?

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave (75g)
pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g) (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (Not optional. Omit at your own risk)
optional: more chips, for presentation
Instructions

Black Bean Brownies Recipe:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth.
Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor. I use this food processor.)
Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut.
If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies.
If you make this recipe, don't forget to leave a review!
The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient.
In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!

Hi! From my experiences I would recommend the following approach to your questions:
-2 tablespoons would be appropriate for a batch of brownies. 2 teaspoons is really not a lot at all if you are looking for a chocolate flavor.
-I would not replace chocolate chips with more cocoa powder - this will alter the texture and likely to make them more dry. If you want more cocoa powder, I would remove some of the oats since that is the most flour-like ingredient. If you don't like chocolate chip chunks, try chopping the chips up really tiny for a delicious velvety chocolate texture!
-you can use either cocoa or cacao

Back
Top Bottom