Recipe Black Butter

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:24 PM
Black butter is made with apples cooked low and slow until they turn dark brown/black. Not to be confused with black butter as in browned butter as served with fish. This recipe based on the traditional Jersey black butter but there are versions of this in the US, Ireland and France and no doubt elsewhere. Its traditionally used as a spread, like jam on bread but it can be used in savoury dishes too - with roast pork for example.

fullsizeoutput_3d60.jpeg

Ingredients
500ml cider
4 large cooking apples (Bramley)
4 tbsp brown sugar (use more if you prefer a sweeter taste)
1 tsp each of ground allspice, cinnamon and ginger
1 tbs liquorice powder (or you can melt soft liquorice instead - see notes*)
2 tsp black treacle

Method
Place the cider in a pan over a medium heat and reduce to 1/4 of the volume (125ml)
Meanwhile, peel and core the apples and place in a pan with the sugar and a little water.
Cook over a low heat until the apples turn to a pulp.
Place the apples and cider in a slow cooker (crock-pot) and cook on medium for 10 hours (I left it overnight).
Place the apple mixture into a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat (no lid) and reduce to 1/3 of the volume. This step is necessary to thicken the mixture to a spreadable consistency.
Add the spices, liquorice powder and black treacle and mix well.
Pour into a sterilised jar. This mixture is enough for approximately one small jar of black butter.

* Some recipes suggest using liquorice sticks. I tried melting down some soft liquorice but for some reason it wouldn't liquify. You will need to experiment!

Last edited:
We just call that apple butter. There a lighter colours of it, but it's mostly dark.

It's an educational show on how things are made. it's been on several channels in the last few years. I watch it all the time. :wink:

Black butter is made with apples cooked low and slow until they turn dark brown/black. Not to be confused with black butter as in browned butter as served with fish. This recipe based on the traditional Jersey black butter but there are versions of this in the US, Ireland and France and no doubt elsewhere. Its traditionally used as a spread, like jam on bread but it can be used in savoury dishes too - with roast pork for example.

View attachment 20605

Ingredients
500ml cider
4 large cooking apples (Bramley)
4 tbsp brown sugar (use more if you prefer a sweeter taste)
1 tsp each of ground allspice, cinnamon and ginger
1 tbs liquorice powder (or you can melt soft liquorice instead - see notes*)
2 tsp black treacle

Method
Place the cider in a pan over a medium heat and reduce to 1/4 of the volume (125ml)
Meanwhile, peel and core the apples and place in a pan with the sugar and a little water.
Cook over a low heat until the apples turn to a pulp.
Place the apples and cider in a slow cooker (crock-pot) and cook on medium for 10 hours (I left it overnight).
Place the apple mixture into a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat (no lid) and reduce to 1/3 of the volume. This step is necessary to thicken the mixture to a spreadable consistency.
Add the spices, liquorice powder and black treacle and mix well.
Pour into a sterilised jar. This mixture is enough for approximately one small jar of black butter.

* Some recipes suggest using liquorice sticks. I tried melting down some soft liquorice but for some reason it wouldn't liquify. You will need to experiment!

Looks almost like melted chocolate!! Hah!! :wink:

My mom loved apple butter. My sister just yesterday found pumpkin butter...i have yet to hear a report on how it tastes.

Back
Top Bottom