• Parmesan, grated: 30 g
  • Cold Butter, unsalted: 30 g
  • Vegetable or beef stock: 1 l
  • Black garlic: 4 cloves
  • Spring onions or White onions, small: 1
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 2 tbsp
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Method

Tip: Make sure to keep the broth hot throughout the whole process and to pour it in only one ladle at a time. The rice will cook to perfection.

Finely slice the spring onion brown it in a saucepan with the olive oil. Pour in a tablespoonful of broth and let it simmer over medium heat until the onion softens up.

Add the rice to the suacepan and toast it for a couple of minutes. Toasting the rice prevents it from overcooking and it’s an unmissable step to cook a proper Italian risotto. Pour in a ladle of hot broth and stir.

Remove the skin from the black garlic and add the cloves to the rice in the saucepan. Black garlic is particularly soft and it will quickly dissolve into the broth making it slightly thicker.

Stir thoroughly and keep adding ladles of broth every time the liquid in the saucepan dries up, until the rice is cooked through.

Tip: When perfectly cooked, this risotto will turn out creamy, but not watery, and not runny, but not too dry, either. If that’s the consistency of your risotto, keep going, you’re headed in the right direction!

Add about ⅔ of the Parmesan and season to taste.

Tip: To achieve a perfect creamy finish, make sure to use very, very cold butter. Don’t take it out of the fridge before using it.

Turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir gently until the butter melts completely. Serve warm, topped with the remaining Parmesan.

I'm intrigued as well, though I am worried about the ?sweetness? black garlic adds, at least to me.

I'm intrigued as well, though I am worried about the ?sweetness? black garlic adds, at least to me.

@medtran49 I can understand your concern,
you are right, black garlic has a sweetish, almost liqueur-like aftertaste, but it also has another one that resembles mushrooms ... playing on these particularities, I wanted to imagine an ingredients to combine together that could remove the sweetish and leave the mushroom aftertaste . the combination with broth, butter and above all Parmesan, made this possible. I didn't want to add too many ingredients because they would have overwhelmed the taste of black garlic ... I managed to find a balance between tastes, at least for mine :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom