Boats and cars

How to put huge silly grins on the faces of grown men - mucking about in single seaters. Formula Fords at Silverstone about 5 years ago.

Last edited:
It does look like an AC, but not a Cobra IMHO. Maybe a race-bodied special?

It is definitely not "correct." I see things that don't look right. But, I believe it is Cobra-based. It apparently had racing history, or it wouldn't be at the Monterey Historics.

CD

Mod.Edit: This post and the next 6 posts moved from another thread (MG)

The money for our car crash has arrived at the bank. So yesterday we decided (Mrs B decided) because of the narrow roads etc we need a small car. She likes the Mini Cooper. So the hunt starts for a low mileage second hand Cooper.View attachment 53036
Great little cars, but do your research thoroughly - some models had engines made of chocolate.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I remember it is the middle series of engines that had problems - built by Peugeot. The earlier ones were fine, and the later ones have BMW engines, so are OK.
I remember Jeremy Clarkson or James May saying that Charles Peugeot works for Citroen. :roflmao::roflmao:

From what I remember it is the middle series of engines that had problems - built by Peugeot. The earlier ones were fine, and the later ones have BMW engines, so are OK.

I have the Peugeot engine, with turbo. The weakness was a stretching timing chain, and insufficient tensioners. The cars were recalled. I had mine fixed for free under recall. Without the fix, the timing chains could jump. It is an interference engine (as are most engines), so if the timing chain jumped, valves and pistons would fight it out, and nobody won.

The first series cars had a lot more problems -- beyond just engines. But the engines themselves were Titec engines, developed by Chrysler and Rover -- two companies know for stellar products.

The third series cars use engines developed by BMW.

CD

I have the Peugeot engine, with turbo. The weakness was a stretching timing chain, and insufficient tensioners. The cars were recalled. I had mine fixed for free under recall. Without the fix, the timing chains could jump. It is an interference engine (as are most engines), so if the timing chain jumped, valves and pistons would fight it out, and nobody won.

The first series cars had a lot more problems -- beyond just engines. But the engines themselves were Titec engines, developed by Chrysler and Rover -- two companies know for stellar products.

The third series cars use engines developed by BMW.

CD
Yes, that is what I almost remembered. I'm not sure there was a recall over here, or if there was I don't think it was sucessful. When I was considering buying one ebay was full of ones with blown engines. I find the later BMW engined ones to be very ugly.

Yes, that is what I almost remembered. I'm not sure there was a recall over here, or if there was I don't think it was sucessful. When I was considering buying one ebay was full of ones with blown engines. I find the later BMW engined ones to be very ugly.

Yeah, the folks on the MINI forum I belong to all HATE the F-Series (current) MINIs. It's all visual, too. I've had F-series loaners, and they run and drive great. But, they got beaten by the ugly stick (US car slang). MINI dealerships are closing down like crazy in the US. My dealership closed down, but the owner company have an Audi dealership near me that will take care of me if I need it. The philosophy of the CEO, Carl Sewell is, "I don't want to sell you a car -- I want to sell you every car you own for the rest of your life." They have a system that reads customer's number plates as they drive in for service, and brings the customer's name and info up on a computer screen, so they can greet you by your name in the service drive. "Hello Mr Caseydog, I see you are in for an oil change, and have reserved a free loaner car."

That recall should have been worldwide, but I can't say I know for sure.

CD

Back
Top Bottom