Boats and cars

Yes, there is a youtube film of one pulling a 747. The adjustable air suspension could drop it down 6 inches and make it the nearest you could get to sports car handling from a big SUV.

Talking of adjustable suspension, that was the killer on the Allroad. Too much complication alongside the 4wd trickery. I had the 2.7TT, lovely car but it had to go when it started making expensive sounding grinding noises when going round corners.

Yes, I had the 2.7 twin turbo. One of the biggest reasons I sold it was the replacing a turbo was an $8,000 dollar job. They had to just about take the car apart to replace a turbo. Most people upgraded to K04 turbos if they had to replace one, and did a stage three upgrade at the same time. 10K instead of 8K. I would have done the same, but decided to bail out while I could still get a lot of money for it.

Zaudi001.jpg

Zaudi048.jpg

CD

Last edited:
My Family name is Elster. This is how the Italian Job originated The helicopter was also used to visit my Mum and Dad " The second film, The Chase (19 December 1964), was an original story co-written by Troy Kennedy Martin and Michael Elster, who also directed it. This was an action film in which the central character, Frank Bowles (Ken Jones) is pursued by four motorcyclists after he accidentally knocks over one of their bikes. The gang included a rather unthreatening-looking Rodney Bewes, who was to become famous for The Likely Lads, which made its debut on BBC2 just three days before The Chase was screened. The film included a sequence filmed from a helicopter and it was one of the most expensive films in the series. Although Troy Kennedy Martin had made a name for himself as a scriptwriter by this time there is little doubt that Michael Elster, who had just spent four years at the Polish Film School, was the auteur of this particular film, just as Ken Russell was of the first film, a fact confirmed by the Radio Times which listed The Chase as ‘A film by Michael Elster’. He died 2 yrs ago. I am godfather to his son Jake.

Yes, I had the 2.7 twin turbo. One of the biggest reasons I sold it was the replacing a turbo was an $8,000 dollar job. They had to just about take the car apart to replace a turbo. Most people upgraded to K04 turbos if they had to replace one, and did a stage three upgrade at the same time. 10K instead of 8K. I would have done the same, but decided to bail out while I could still get a lot of money for it.

View attachment 45105

View attachment 45106

CD

This was mine. They had some really nice quirky colour schemes.

The absolute fastest car I ever drove was this RUF RT12. It was a 997-based car, with a 0-60mph time of 2.9 seconds, and a top speed (certified) of 217mph. RUf was a customer of mine. I designed their advertising for North America. I drove pretty much everything they made, and drove this RT12 many times. I only got it to just shy of 160mph, because I didn't have enough open road. At that speed, it felt solid as a rock, and completely stable. No white knuckles. BTW, it had a regular speedometer, and a GPS speedometer, so 217 was really 217, and 160 was really 160.

GZ-003.jpg

CD

Very nice. I have an unscratched itch for a 911, but I can't see it happening now. I once cracked 150 in a borrowed TVR on a quiet motorway very early one morning. The bonnet, being made from GRP, flexed under the air pressure and came off its catches. Fortunately they are front hinged, but it still fluttered up and down, intermittently blocking my view of the road. That's the difference between a properly engineered car and one made by some albeit well intentioned chaps in shed in Blackpool.

I have an unscratched itch for a 911
In the early 70s I went to Germany and bought a knew red L/hand drive 911 Targa with a folding top for about 35% less than in the UK. She ran on two star petrol and sounded like a Volkswagen. I drove her to the UK. I left Annabel's in Berkley Sq with a lady at 02.00 and was at the Grosvenor in Chester at 03.45.
The current Saab

Very nice. I have an unscratched itch for a 911, but I can't see it happening now. I once cracked 150 in a borrowed TVR on a quiet motorway very early one morning. The bonnet, being made from GRP, flexed under the air pressure and came off its catches. Fortunately they are front hinged, but it still fluttered up and down, intermittently blocking my view of the road. That's the difference between a properly engineered car and one made by some albeit well intentioned chaps in shed in Blackpool.

That has always been my impression of TVR. Great cars, if you don't mind being a just a bit afraid while behind the wheel.

If you get the opportunity, scratch that 911 itch.Like I said, you can get a 996 cheap, and it drives great -- it's just ugly. I've driven almost everything fast and exotic, and I love Ferraris, but if it is my money paying for it, I'm buying a Porsche.

CD

In the early 70s I went to Germany and bought a knew red L/hand drive 911 Targa with a folding top for about 35% less than in the UK. She ran on two star petrol and sounded like a Volkswagen. I drove her to the UK. I left Annabel's in Berkley Sq with a lady at 02.00 and was at the Grosvenor in Chester at 03.45.

All of the cars I've owned for the last 20 years have required premium gas/petrol. I just consider that a standard cost for what I want from a car. My Mini CooperS requires premium gas, but it gets 30MPG, so I'm okay with to price of fuel.

CD

That has always been my impression of TVR. Great cars, if you don't mind being a just a bit afraid while behind the wheel.

If you get the opportunity, scratch that 911 itch.Like I said, you can get a 996 cheap, and it drives great -- it's just ugly. I've driven almost everything fast and exotic, and I love Ferraris, but if it is my money paying for it, I'm buying a Porsche.

CD
Yes, TVR ownership is not for the faint hearted in any respect. Been there, done that and not going back. Unless money were no object, in case one of these would be on the shopping list:
1598004765333.png

In my humble opinion probably the most beautiful car ever made. I love Maserati's too, but buying one of those would be the most stupid thing I had ever done, and I have done some pretty stupid things. Pretty academic at the moment anyway!

I had a couple of Mustangs in Florida. 6/10View attachment 45241

I'm not a fan of the late model Stangs. One of my customers who is very rich holidayed in Vegas. He told me he got drunk and bought a brand new mustang, about 10 years ago. Second generation owner of the company. I dealt with his father before him. Great down to earth family.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom