Boats and cars

Having owned a 4 in the 80s the chassis is metal, its the frame that is wood. I bought mine in an auction, I could not understand why it was so cheap. The mot appeared legit, except the pad had been stolen from a garage robbery. To cut a long story short which involved the Police, I scrapped her and took the loss. I never went to an auction again without a mechanic. I had better luck with a 69 TR5 like thisView attachment 45065
I stand corrected! Almost bought one in the late nineties from a dealer in Southport whilst on a weekend break. They only had one 4/4 (needed for two small sons) and it was boxed in at the very back of the showroom. They needed to move about 30 others to get it out for me to test drive, and asked if I would go back the next day. Woke up in the hotel next morning to the news of Princess Diana's death, and the attraction of the idea evaporated. Never went back. Love the TR5. In fact, most British cars of the 60's and 70's. The only two 'proper' British sportscars I've owned were:

(A stock photo)
Because it was the same age as me, and my uncle had one when I was young, and:

(My actual car)
Because I wanted one from the first moment I ever saw one. Beautiful, brutal and British. It had a highly modified 4.3 litre V8 with a straight through exhaust, and a power to weight ratio just short of 350 bhp/ton. With no ABS or power steering it was a bit of a handful, and would pull wheel spin in 5th gear on a damp road. Of all the cars I've owned, this is the one I really wish I had kept.

I would guess at a Porsche 968, a Caterpillar 360 and a Volvo V70.
Porsche 968 Turbo S, the question was a bit unfair as the bonnet is covered in snow so you cant see the air scoops. Volvo V70 20 valve injection was actually one of the best cars I owned. I bought it for the many trips to Croatia. Seats down fully loaded she would purr along the autobahn at 130 mph with cruise control engaged. A Crosville bus T boned us and wrote her off before I had the predicted problems with the electronic throttle. We both climbed out without a scratch.

When was the picture taken mate ? the car I think is a 72 Morgan + 4. Question.What links the Morgan to the tree ?

Yeah, it's a Morgan. I don't know my years on Morgans. They don't change much. I drove one a few years ago with a Chevy LS6 (Corvette engine) under the bonnet. Dayum, that thing was fast. :eek:

CD

I stand corrected! Almost bought one in the late nineties from a dealer in Southport whilst on a weekend break. They only had one 4/4 (needed for two small sons) and it was boxed in at the very back of the showroom. They needed to move about 30 others to get it out for me to test drive, and asked if I would go back the next day. Woke up in the hotel next morning to the news of Princess Diana's death, and the attraction of the idea evaporated. Never went back. Love the TR5. In fact, most British cars of the 60's and 70's. The only two 'proper' British sportscars I've owned were:

View attachment 45085
(A stock photo)
Because it was the same age as me, and my uncle had one when I was young, and:
View attachment 45084
(My actual car)
Because I wanted one from the first moment I ever saw one. Beautiful, brutal and British. It had a highly modified 4.3 litre V8 with a straight through exhaust, and a power to weight ratio just short of 350 bhp/ton. With no ABS or power steering it was a bit of a handful, and would pull wheel spin in 5th gear on a damp road. Of all the cars I've owned, this is the one I really wish I had kept.

Is that a TVR? I've never seen one in person, only in pictures.

CD

Last edited:
Porsche 968 Turbo S, the question was a bit unfair as the bonnet is covered in snow so you cant see the air scoops. Volvo V70 20 valve injection was actually one of the best cars I owned. I bought it for the many trips to Croatia. Seats down fully loaded she would purr along the autobahn at 130 mph with cruise control engaged. A Crosville bus T boned us and wrote her off before I had the predicted problems with the electronic throttle. We both climbed out without a scratch.

Covered with snow, and only half visible, I was going to guess a 944. The V70 I recognized. I had a V70, and later, an XC70.

I got the XC70 as a replacement for my aging Audi A6 allroad Quattro. It just couldn't live up to the task, and I sold it 8 months later.

CD

I believe they are quite collectable now.

I had the earlier 850 estate, then a V90 3.0l, both did well over 250K miles before they started going wrong. Currently driving an XC60.

My sister has an XC60. Her second one. Both AWD. She loves it. The first one had the Ford six, and the current one has the old, reliable Volvo T5.

Right now the hottest Porsches on the market are 993s, especially 993 Turbos. It was the last air- cooled 911, and a really good looking, good driving car. You can buy a 996 for pocket change.

CD

Is that a TVR? I've never seen on in person, only in pictures.

CD
Spot on! You will be familiar with the engine though - started out as Buick. Served in many UK cars of the 60's onwards. TVR used them from fairly mild 3.5l versions through to properly lairy 4.6l versions in the Chimaera and Griffith. I had my exhaust de-chambered trying to emulate the noise I fell in love with standing next to an historic 1950's Indy car (using the same basic engine) firing up at the Goodwood FOS. Still makes the hairs stand up.

Spot on! You will be familiar with the engine though - started out as Buick. Served in many UK cars of the 60's onwards. TVR used them from fairly mild 3.5l versions through to properly lairy 4.6l versions in the Chimaera and Griffith. I had my exhaust de-chambered trying to emulate the noise I fell in love with standing next to an historic 1950's Indy car (using the same basic engine) firing up at the Goodwood FOS. Still makes the hairs stand up.

TVR made some weird cars, but I was always very intrigued by them. Yes, that Buick V8 did much better in the UK than it did in the US. Good engine, but never caught on in the US. A lot of Land Rovers used that engine.

The race events left on my bucket list include the 24 hours of LeMans, and Goodwood.

CD

TVR made some weird cars, but I was always very intrigued by them. Yes, that Buick V8 did much better in the UK than it did in the US. Good engine, but never caught on in the US. A lot of Land Rovers used that engine.

The race events left on my bucket list include the 24 hours of LeMans, and Goodwood.

CD
Yes, I had a few Disco's and Rangies with it in. Being alloy, it was lighter than most equivalent Ford units of similar power. I thought you had done Goodwood? If not, you really need to. Beer on me. (Cheap date, I know)

I used to bike to high school past a car yard. One morning there was a mustang in the lot. Instant love overtook me. I said to,myself one day I'm getting one. Then in 98 I finally did. Sold it about 5 years ago, needed a lot of rust taken out. Beautiful car. 289 auto.

Yes, I had a few Disco's and Rangies with it in. Being alloy, it was lighter than most equivalent Ford units of similar power. I thought you had done Goodwood? If not, you really need to. Beer on me. (Cheap date, I know)

I'd love to have a beer with you at Goodwood. I'm not supposed to drink beer anymore, but I would make an exception for that occasion. Make it good beer! I'm not enough of a of a cheap date to settle for cheap beer.

CD

Back
Top Bottom