Boring breakfasts, HELP!!!!

Miss Lynn

Local time
9:20 AM
Breakfast, most especially on Sundays when the whole family is here, is boring. I want some zing, some zip, some taste, some Umami. Oh, and they each have a zillion things they hate to eat. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

Lynn

Breakfast, most especially on Sundays when the whole family is here, is boring. I want some zing, some zip, some taste, some Umami. Oh, and they each have a zillion things they hate to eat. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

Lynn

Can you be a bit more specific? What do they hate to eat? What do they like to eat? Zing, zip, taste and umami isn't telling me anything. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't have enough information to make any recommendations. I may or may not be alone on the forum in that respect.

CD

Slice a croissant, sprinkle the cut with a tasty melting cheese; gruyere, emmental or even a cheddar - not too much though or it will become stodgy. Place a couple of slices parma ham or serano on top then replace the croissant lid. 4-5 minutes in a warm oven to melt the cheese and release the butter from the pastry. Loads of umami.

Can you be a bit more specific? What do they hate to eat? What do they like to eat? Zing, zip, taste and umami isn't telling me anything. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't have enough information to make any recommendations. I may or may not be alone on the forum in that respect.

CD

Yep - maybe tell us what you normally have for Sunday breakfast that is so boring. And give us an idea of foods the family hate.

Breakfast can be anything you want. There are no rules really. In some cultures its noodle soup, in others its cold meats and cheese, in Egypt its fava beans (ful medames) and so on... The possibilities are endless so you need to narrow the field for us to make suggestions.

Make a French toast casserole the night before so all you have to do is pop it in the oven the next morning. They can range anywhere from sweet to savory. Stuffed with cream cheese or mascarpone with maybe some fruit to spicy chiles with cheddar or jack cheese, maybe breakfast sausage or ham, whatever flavor profile your family likes. Recipes abound all over the internet.

Even though it was a fad that has about run its course, I still like avocado toast, especially when it's sprinkled with dukkah, which can be made with multiple nuts and spices, though I prefer pistachios.

Omelettes, fritattas,quiches can all be customized to what your family likes.

Last edited:
Oh, and they each have a zillion things they hate to eat. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
I know this won't be helpful, but if you're the chef, it's your rules. Cook what you think is an awesome breakfast, and if some people don't like it, point them to the corn flakes.

My breakfasts usually rotate between eggs of some sort with fried potatoes and side meat, biscuits and gravy, pancakes/waffles/French toast, omelettes, oatmeal or cream of wheat.

I'll occasionally do something "special" like a Dutch baby with homemade caramel sauce, or a quiche, or breakfast pizza (that might get you some wows).

I know this won't be helpful, but if you're the chef, it's your rules. Cook what you think is an awesome breakfast, and if some people don't like it, point them to the corn flakes.

My breakfasts usually rotate between eggs of some sort with fried potatoes and side meat, biscuits and gravy, pancakes/waffles/French toast, omelettes, oatmeal or cream of wheat.

I'll occasionally do something "special" like a Dutch baby with homemade caramel sauce, or a quiche, or breakfast pizza (that might get you some wows).

YOU EAT CREAM OF WHEAT???? I thought I was the only human left on earth that eats cream of wheat:woot:

Lynn

YOU EAT CREAM OF WHEAT???? I thought I was the only human left on earth that eats cream of wheat:woot:

Lynn
You bet I do! I can't remember when/where, but I casually mentioned having COW for breakfast once and was chided for eating "baby food."

Anyway, I cook it in milk or half-and-half, and then flavor it with maple syrup, brown sugar, and golden raisins:

CD
Eggs of any kind because they are boring. Bacon, ham, sausages, one likes bacon, the other one that visits likes sausages, and the other really doesn't like any of them. Cereal is a hot and miss
You bet I do! I can't remember when/where, but I casually mentioned having COW for breakfast once and was chided for eating "baby food."

Anyway, I cook it in milk or half-and-half, and then flavor it with maple syrup, brown sugar, and golden raisins:
View attachment 62970
I love it, and I love Oat Bran by Quaker, a heartier version of Cream Of Wheat. I use dark brown sugar and a touch of cream.

Lynn
I like cream of wheat, although I haven't had it for ages. I even like that skin that sits on top when you find it at a work breakfast buffet. I haven't had it for ages.

My favorite hot cereal are rolled oats, or a multigrain blend of cooking cereals. Don't have one of the latter in my pantry at the moment, so I can't recommend right now, but I love those

The only cold cereals I like are Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat, which I top with a dot of butter, and dark brown sugar - but TBH, I haven't bought either in ages. I try not to start my day off too carb-heavy. (The butter is a legacy of my paternal grandmother.)

Eggs of any kind because they are boring. Bacon, ham, sausages, one likes bacon, the other one that visits likes sausages, and the other really doesn't like any of them. Cereal is a hot and miss

I love it, and I love Oat Bran by Quaker, a heartier version of Cream Of Wheat. I use dark brown sugar and a touch of cream.

Eggs are boring???? SHhhhhhh, don't tell my hens that! I keep finding new things to do with them - Quiche, frittatas, Scotch eggs, a variety of omelets, scrambled.... Japanese style eggs, etc...

Pancakes are good, try different styles and grains. I make some gluten-free, with buckwheat. There's another variant I make that is close to vegan (depending or not if you top with butter). It is savory & Indian, and uses ground rice and lentils as the base. Onions, curry leaves, and a little bit of real tomato round out the taste profile.

Try home-made breakfast sausages. I am really happy with one pork sausage I created with sage and fennel seed. Explore.

PS, there are many parts of the world who do not eat "breakfast foods" - food is something obtained from all day long. I may heat up my leftovers. I've also been known to having the need to make a certain recipe pronto, but to test it out in time, I need to do it at breakfast time. In other words, don't leave "breakfast" solely for Western breakfast notions.

Back
Top Bottom