Bought new 4-qt Enameled Dutch Oven!!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:42 PM
Bought & received THIS pot from Amazon. It's an enameled cast iron one. Wanted one, but I didn't want to pay a lot of money for one, as in the case of LeCrueset or other top-shelf brands. Now I know that you get what you pay for, but I just wasn't paying too much money for one. Just wasn't going to do it!! But as with everything else, with good care, it should last a long time. Some consumers have complained of rust, but I think that if they would dry the pot & lid when they are done washing it, THAT should stop the edges from rusting. We'll see. And as you can see, it is in my favorite color, ORANGE!! Hah!! This will be an excellent pot for making chili, spaghetti sauce, marinara, soups & stews!! :whistling:
Klee 4-qt Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven..jpg

Last edited:
I have Le Crueset, a Pyrex enamel pot and a cheap green one I picked up somewhere with no hope of it lasting (but it has).

What surprised me most is of all three Le Crueset has the most ill fitting lid. I suddenly understood why Delia was always sandwiching foil between her pan lid and base. I don’t have to do that with the other two. I prefer the Pyrex enamel one overall, great lid 👌

I mentioned it to my MIL who is Le Crueset all the way and yes she has to use foil on a long cook to get a reasonable seal on all of her pots.

Personally I think for the money they charge Le Crueset should deliver a better product.

They are pretty though! 🤩

I have Le Crueset, a Pyrex enamel pot and a cheap green one I picked up somewhere with no hope of it lasting (but it has).

What surprised me most is of all three Le Crueset has the most ill fitting lid. I suddenly understood why Delia was always sandwiching foil between her pan lid and base. I don’t have to do that with the other two. I prefer the Pyrex enamel one overall, great lid 👌

I mentioned it to my MIL who is Le Crueset all the way and yes she has to use foil on a long cook to get a reasonable seal on all of her pots.

Personally I think for the money they charge Le Crueset should deliver a better product.

They are pretty though! 🤩

The pot that I bought probably LOOKS like LeCrueset, but it'd not. LeCruset seems quite heavy though. If you accidentally drop it on your foot, you're on your way to the ER (emergency room)!!! :eek:

The pot that I bought probably LOOKS like LeCrueset, but it'd not. LeCruset seems quite heavy though. If you accidentally drop it on your foot, you're on your way to the ER (emergency room)!!! :eek:
Sorry I wasn’t clear.
I know it isn’t Le Crueset.
It was more a comment on “You get what you pay for” and with Le Crueset I don’t think you do.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new pan as much if not more than the pricier versions.

I wondered if the rust complaints were from people dishwashering?
Thumbs up from me on the oiling suggestion works on my bacon presses

Sorry I wasn’t clear.
I know it isn’t Le Crueset.
It was more a comment on “You get what you pay for” and with Le Crueset I don’t think you do.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new pan as much if not more than the pricier versions.

I wondered if the rust complaints were from people dishwashering?
Thumbs up from me on the oiling suggestion works on my bacon presses

Yeah, normally, cast iron is not supposed to be washed in the dishwasher anyway. The very same thing that you're trying to avoid on it, WILL happen in there!! The detergent that's used will discolor & remove some of the "seasoning" which is supposed to keep that from happening. Rust will form on it again, & you'll have to go through the whole 'seasoning" process again. That would be a pain to do!! :eek:

Yeah, normally, cast iron is not supposed to be washed in the dishwasher anyway. The very same thing that you're trying to avoid on it, WILL happen in there!! The detergent that's used will discolor & remove some of the "seasoning" which is supposed to keep that from happening. Rust will form on it again, & you'll have to go through the whole 'seasoning" process again. That would be a pain to do!! :eek:
Spot on.
Although I have to confess I’m a dishwasher devotee. Even when I was recently buying a bread maker I was tempted to buy a much less capable machine because it could be dishwashered 🤣

Bought & received THIS pot from Amazon. It's an enameled cast iron one. Wanted one, but I didn't want to pay a lot of money for one, as in the case of LeCrueset or other top-shelf brands. Now I know that you get what you pay for, but I just wasn't paying too much money for one. Just wasn't going to do it!! But as with everything else, with good care, it should last a long time. Some consumers have complained of rust, but I think that if they would dry the pot & lid when they are done washing it, THAT should stop the edges from rusting. We'll see. And as you can see, it is in my favorite color, ORANGE!! Hah!! This will be an excellent pot for making chili, spaghetti sauce, marinara, soups & stews!! :whistling:View attachment 98712

Over time, the pot and lid rubbing against each other will wear down the top edge of your Dutch oven. My LeCruset Dutch ovens are that way, too. But, you are right, just dry the top edge, and it will be fine. TR is right, too. Put a drop of cooking oil on your finger, and rub it around the top edge.

If you use your enamel coated cast iron as much as I use mine, you are going the get some small chips in the enamel. Don't worry about it, it will still work just fine. Over time, that pretty cream colored enamel inside will turn a little brown, too. Don't let that bother you, either. The only way you can keep that Dutch oven looking like new is to never use it. What's the point in having it if you never use it.

CD

I think they look great worn in, like a well used a well loved homey item. Sometimes pristine condition doesn’t have the most appeal.

Just took it out of the box. And it is HEAVY!! Heavy as the LeCruset!!! Didn't think so at first, but it IS!! Now. What will I cook in it first? Maybe the pot roast! Hah!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom