Bowls - show your favourites!

These are some dessert bowls my former SIL gave us for our wedding:

View attachment 99245View attachment 99246View attachment 99247

She’s Korean, and my brother married her when he was first in the Army. When he brought her back to the US, she didn’t speak a word of English and was very…timid and overwhelmed by everything. It wasn’t just that she was from a different country, but she was from an extremely rural/isolated part.

I was 13 when she arrived, she was probably 10 years older, and we bonded instantly. I don’t think I’d ever seen a more beautiful woman in my life. Stunning wasn’t enough of a word for it. She had that kind of ethereal beauty that Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn had, otherworldly.

She had a little brother my age, and I think that’s what helped her latch onto me, and also, I think I was the only one in the family (besides my brother) who didn’t treat her like an oddity from another planet. She showed me how to use chopsticks (sort of), and we had fun going through a Korean-English dictionary I brought home from the library.

When MrsT and I married…10 years later, my brother generously sent us a check as a gift. We were in NY and they were in Oklahoma, so they didn’t attend.

What surprised me, though, was the second gift that arrived…a package from my SIL that contained those bowls, along with a note (written by their small daughter), telling me the gift was specifically from her to us.

That money was probably spent before we got back from our honeymoon, but we still have those bowls.

Unfortunately, we no longer have contact, as she and my brother divorced maybe 20 or so years ago, though she does still live in the area. I happened to run into one of their daughters a couple of months ago, and she showed me a picture of her mom, who would be in her late ‘60’s now…and still a vision.

What a story! Do you ever use those 'retro' bowls?

Back
Top Bottom