Bowls - show your favourites!

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
7:20 PM
In sort of a late response to TastyReuben 's Drying Dishes thread I bring to you a 'show your favourite bowls' thread! Not quite as banal I admit, but nevertheless, it's pretty mundane!

I'll start with these which are my most-used; stamped metal, practically indestructible, lightweight, supremely stackable/storable and they cost just a few bucks.

The large one is 28cm in diameter, used daily for a multitude of things - washing veg, mixing batter, tossing fries in salt.

The three medium ones (18cm) are also in constant rotation for washing grapes, dumping prepped veg into, marinating meats.

Then there are the three small ones (15cm) which I just added to the family recently and totally adore.

IMG_9192.JPG

Medium with chopped cabbage:
IMG_9194.jpg

Washing/soaking some veg (kailan) in the large:
IMG_9195.jpg

Some prepped chicken in the small ones:
IMG_9199.jpg

Bonus medium bowl shot: washed grapes!
IMG_9193.jpg

..have I got more favourite bowls? Oh yes, but I won't hog all the fun just yet!

Last edited:
Here’s a set of metal mixing bowls, the largest is 8 quarts:

IMG_4194.jpeg

Branded Tramontina, probably bought at Sam’s Club. My main bowls for tossing together salad.

More to follow…

Great topic for a thread vernplum !!

Yup, I've got the standard issue SS bowl set; my Godmother even gave me one that is ginormous. I have no clue as to how gallons it can hold!
And then I have my faves:
IMG_2901.JPG

from left to right:
our favorite Soup Noodle Bowl for when I make Won Ton Mein Deluxe Hawaii-style
Cereal Bowl
Clear/Textured Salad Bowl with a real cute set of tongs
IMG_2902.JPG

from left to right:
two kinds of Pyrex prep bowls
Pasta/Soup bowl along side two other soup bowls
the blue & white Rice bowls I simply love!
also love this shell shaped bowl that I use when I make myself Shrimp Scampi-style
and a fairly good sized white serving bowl, for us two it's perfect

IMG_2903.JPG

I got a set of Pyrex bowls with lids to make dishes for my Mother and take to her, perfect
and I found this Shoyu dish/bowl in my favorite international store in Las Vegas, great for the larger dim sum that you want to give a good dip

Glass mixing bowls (one missing because it developed a crack):
IMG_4196.jpeg

The two in the front are our everyday cereal/soup bowls, the larger in the back is a serving/mixing bowl, and the smallest one is a little prep/ramekin kind of thing:
IMG_4197.jpeg

The blue ones are some dishes we inherited from an uncle, and the green one was a $1 Big Lots purchase, which I kept in my office:
IMG_4198.jpeg

My most recent purchase, a Mason Cash pudding basin:
IMG_4199.jpeg

I'm a bowl freak! For Starters, I got THIS stainless steel set with different color lids & different size bowls!! Not to be left out are the Oxo bowls!! Then there's an Oxo SS set of bowls. I just love Oxo bowls!! :whistling:
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set..jpg
Oxo B9owls..jpg
Oxox SS Bowls..jpg

Last edited:
Nothing fancy here.

My preference is for Pyrex bowl, so that's what I have. The photo doesn't show all of them. 2 are in use soaking rice for later today.

20230426_090300.jpg

Then I use the white Japanese rice bowls from IKEA for smaller quantities of stuff, and the really small ones for herbs and spices.

20230426_090316.jpg

I’m quite fond of these mini bowls which my wife brought back from from Vietnam. There is famous pottery there called ‘bat trang’ and these are of that ilk. They are especially useful when your recipes call for lots of small amounts of various ingredients such as Indian - which commonly have over 20 ingredients:

IMG_9210.jpeg

..:in action:
b4e211ae-8ed6-4265-ac8b-f91f2e3e91ef.jpeg

These are some dessert bowls my former SIL gave us for our wedding:

IMG_4201.jpeg
IMG_4202.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg

She’s Korean, and my brother married her when he was first in the Army. When he brought her back to the US, she didn’t speak a word of English and was very…timid and overwhelmed by everything. It wasn’t just that she was from a different country, but she was from an extremely rural/isolated part.

I was 13 when she arrived, she was probably 10 years older, and we bonded instantly. I don’t think I’d ever seen a more beautiful woman in my life. Stunning wasn’t enough of a word for it. She had that kind of ethereal beauty that Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn had, otherworldly.

She had a little brother my age, and I think that’s what helped her latch onto me, and also, I think I was the only one in the family (besides my brother) who didn’t treat her like an oddity from another planet. She showed me how to use chopsticks (sort of), and we had fun going through a Korean-English dictionary I brought home from the library.

When MrsT and I married…10 years later, my brother generously sent us a check as a gift. We were in NY and they were in Oklahoma, so they didn’t attend.

What surprised me, though, was the second gift that arrived…a package from my SIL that contained those bowls, along with a note (written by their small daughter), telling me the gift was specifically from her to us.

That money was probably spent before we got back from our honeymoon, but we still have those bowls.

Unfortunately, we no longer have contact, as she and my brother divorced maybe 20 or so years ago, though she does still live in the area. I happened to run into one of their daughters a couple of months ago, and she showed me a picture of her mom, who would be in her late ‘60’s now…and still a vision.

Back
Top Bottom