Boxed cheese grater - just sayin’.

I use this style:

I have two because I use them so often.

speaking of graters....
anyone used one of the 'rotary' types? plunk in a chunk and crank the handle....
I've thought about that for larger qtys - but reviews panned most of them....

I had one of those back in the 70's. It was quite good for delicate soft 'fronds' of cheese.

I remember it looked a bit like this:

1608155267702.png

I had one of those back in the 70's. It was quite good for delicate soft 'fronds' of cheese.

I remember it looked a bit like this:

View attachment 52892

I used to have one of those, but I guess I broke it. I don't have it now. It was good for shredding parmesan onto foods.

Here, it is common for servers in Italian restaurants to have one with them when they serve your food, so they can shred parmesan on your food at the table, if you desire.

CD

I have a box grater and a grater like MG and TR. My favorite is my micro plane. My most used kitchen tool is my Japanese Chef knife. My second most used tool is my micro plane. I use it to zest citrus, micro plane garlic, ginger and occasionally onions. I use it to micro plane any and all hard cheese. I use my micro plane every day. Chef knife in one hand, micro plane in the other. I can not cook without the two.

I have a box grater and a grater like MG and TR. My favorite is my micro plane. My most used kitchen tool is my Japanese Chef knife. My second most used tool is my micro plane. I use it to zest citrus, micro plane garlic, ginger and occasionally onions. I use it to micro plane any and all hard cheese. I use my micro plane every day. Chef knife in one hand, micro plane in the other. I can not cook without the two.
My microplanes gets used for zest, ginger, garlic, nutmeg, and cheese. I've also been known to be a show-off and shave tiny bits of nutmeg off with a chef's knife. :D

We live in a different world. We are regular customers of the dairy shop. They stock about 40 types of aged "hard" cheese from various parts of Croatia. Ewe's milk, Goat milk and Cows milk. She has a machine for grating. The grater has three setting. Minimum amount is 100 grams. I am working on the ultimate blend for pasta and bechamel. I think she thinks I'm bonkers.

View attachment 52783
I asked my 98 year old dad why cheese tastes better at his house than mine.
“Shredded you buy in the bag is coated with wax as are individual wrapped slices” my dad told me. “It really effects the flavor.”

That was an eye opener.
I ditched the washboard style shredder and went with the box style for ease of use and the Tupperware style boxes can be capped and placed in the refer.

The kids are on board and really notice the difference in taste.

A year into this and the family still slices and grates our own just about ever morning giving up a bit of (spell check prevents me spelling this correctly); connivence for much better flavor.
I once had a grater like that one!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom