Brain food

Local time
3:07 AM
When I was growing up, I always heard my mother referring to fish as brain food. What she meant is that it was good for maintaining a healthy brain as well as keeping one mentally alert. Now that I am older, I understand what she meant. Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be good for keeping the brain healthy. Fish oils are also good for this as well. I drank a lot of Cod liver oil when I was growing up. These days, I would still buy a bottle of this oil occasionally and take 2 teaspoons full every day. The vitamin D contained in this oil is also beneficial healthwise.

How often do you eat fish?

Not as often as I used to, which was once a week.

When I was growing up, I always heard my mother referring to fish as brain food. What she meant is that it was good for maintaining a healthy brain as well as keeping one mentally alert. Now that I am older, I understand what she meant. Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be good for keeping the brain healthy. Fish oils are also good for this as well. I drank a lot of Cod liver oil when I was growing up. These days, I would still buy a bottle of this oil occasionally and take 2 teaspoons full every day. The vitamin D contained in this oil is also beneficial healthwise.

How often do you eat fish?
I try to eat it once a week, as it is good for cholesterol. Salmon is also good for the heart, as it is full of omega 3's. I will buy some kind of fish, nearly everytime I go to the store. Fish is also low in calories, so that is another reason to eat it. There are many ways it can be prepared, so fish is something that is quite versatile.

Salmon is also good for the heart, as it is full of omega 3's.

Yes, I agree that salmon is good, and it is also very tasty. However, because it is very pricey in my country, I do not buy it very often. I like to buy tinned tuna fish which I can use for making sandwiches. It is also very reasonably priced. Tinned sardines are another good option where fish products are concerned. I like to buy the ones that contain lemon, since all I would need to add is some kind of pepper and it is ready to eat.

I don't eat bones so fish is out. I hear the voices saying 'oh but it's easy to remove the bones' but when actually pinned down they usually end up with 'oh well you can just eat the tiny ones' - NO I do not eat bones. I have found bones in fish pate and even a fish finger and as for the seemingly unending task of picking the flesh from trout etc - forget it, life is just too short. I take a cod liver oil capsule once a day and that's it. Give me a steak.

I don't eat bones so fish is out. I hear the voices saying 'oh but it's easy to remove the bones' but when actually pinned down they usually end up with 'oh well you can just eat the tiny ones' - NO I do not eat bones. I have found bones in fish pate and even a fish finger and as for the seemingly unending task of picking the flesh from trout etc - forget it, life is just too short. I take a cod liver oil capsule once a day and that's it. Give me a steak.
T-Bone!

You know, I wasn't much of a fan of it until I moved to Japan. Then I realized that fish was a LOT cheaper than meats that I was previously accustomed to (beef, pork, chicken) so it was a bit of a no brainer to learn to love it. And love it I have - we usually have salmon twice a week. It's the best fish I've ever eaten, living here!

After chicken, fish is one of my favourite meats. Not only is it tasty, but it is also easy to prepare. It is also very versatile. There are varied ways in which fish can be prepared. My favourite way to eat fish is fried, but I also like it grilled. I like most types of fish, although there are some that I have never tasted. So, apart from the fact that fish has a high nutritional value, there are also some other positives related to this delicacy. I would buy fish more often if it was not so pricey. However, I can still find some brands that are reasonably priced.

I don't eat it as often as I should. I have never been a really big fish lover so it has to be prepared right in order for me to eat it. I just don't like any fish. I eat it maybe once a month. As a child my Dad was a fisherman and we had fish all the time. I think I had my fill of it back then so now it is something I rarely even want!

Fish is one of my favorite foods. I can eat fish every day and not get tried of it, the fish can be baked or fried I will still love it. I eat fish at least once a week as a meal and tuna salad several times a week in a salad or sandwich.

Not as often as I used to, which was once a week.
I suspect your brain is functioning at it's full capacity so you don't need to eat a lot. They lied when they said we only use 10% of our brain- at least in your case.
Answering the question now- all week when I'm in that fish zone and then I can go weeks without it. That might explain why I short on brains sometimes. Anyway, I've heard it referred around here as power food.

I eat fish when I can get it. Lately eating beef or pork has me feeling heavy and my heartburns are acting up so fish and chicken has been on my menu as of late. Salmon, tuna, tilapia, red snapper etc. we have that in my grocer's and buy them probably for meals 3 times a week now. Just be careful of your mercury intake from fish that's the only downside especially if you're on a special diet.

When I was younger, we subsisted on fish because that is one of the cheapest foods. For now, we hardly eat any fish because we had become meat eaters. And for brain food, what I know is peanuts. My father would bring home a pack of freshly fried peanuts that we call "Adobo" which means it was fried with garlic. I would be eating peanuts while I do my homework at night, that's after dinner. I don't know but peanuts gave me the inspiration that it is brain food so I felt bright, huh.

My mother used to refer to fish as brain food as well. I love fish, but I don't eat it nearly as much as I'd like to. Salmon is a particular favorite of mine. I love to top it with lemon pepper and butter, though that isn't the healthiest route to go. I've tried taking fish oil tablets daily and I saw many benefits, but it was making my face break out terribly.

Actually I do not eat fish that often that is why I knew that I am not getting my natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Although now I am eating Tuna at least once a week because they said that it is also a good source of Omega 3 and is good for the brain. And I prefer eating tuna than any other fish. And since I am not getting any younger me and my husband are taking omega 3 fish oil supplements daily to meet our daily vitamin requirement and somehow it do wonders for our health. But aside from salmon, tuna and other fish sources there are also some others sources of foods that is good for brain functioning like some nuts and seeds, high fiber whole grains, fruits like avocados and oranges, dairy products and even dark chocolates which makes our brain to be alert and to be focus to what we are doing. But we should remember that we should be eating all of this brain foods in the right quantity or in moderation only.

Back
Top Bottom