Staff member
Local time
4:57 AM
Breakfast Pizza
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
3 TB extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
6 slices bacon
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
4 oz (1/2 cup) small-curd cottage cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 pound store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
6 large eggs
2 scallions, sliced thin
2 TBminced fresh chives

Directions
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Grease rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil.

2. Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate; when cool enough to handle, crumble bacon. Combine mozzarella and Parmesan in bowl; set aside. Combine cottage cheese, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon oil in separate bowl; set aside.

3. Press and roll dough into 15 by 11-inch rectangle on lightly floured counter, pulling on corners to help make distinct rectangle. Transfer dough to prepared sheet and press to edges of sheet. Brush edges of dough with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Bake dough until top appears dry and bottom is just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.

4. Remove crust from oven and, using spatula, press down on any air bubbles. Spread cottage cheese mixture evenly over top, leaving 1-inch border around edges. Sprinkle bacon evenly over cottage cheese mixture.

5. Sprinkle mozzarella mixture evenly over pizza, leaving 1/2-inch border. Create 2 rows of 3 evenly spaced small wells in cheese, each about 3 inches in diameter (6 wells total). Crack 1 egg into each well, then season each with salt and pepper.

6. Return pizza to oven and bake until crust is light golden around edges and eggs are just set, 9 to 10 minutes for slightly runny yolks or 11 to 12 minutes for soft-cooked yolks, rotating sheet halfway through baking.

7. Transfer pizza to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer pizza to cutting board. Sprinkle with scallions and chives and drizzle with extra oil. Slice and serve.

Recipe courtesy of Cook's Country
The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

Eggs on pizza is a favourite thing of mine and you achieved the perfect runny yolk. I've sent restaurant pizzas back many times when the yolk wasn't runny. No way would I eat this for breakfast! Dinner is fine. Bring it on.

Note - recipe has 6 eggs. I can only spot 4. Surely, this is anarchy in your world?

Note - recipe has 6 eggs. I can only spot 4. Surely, this is anarchy in your world?
Thanks for the compliment with the egg. When you give an egg compliment, it really means something! :)

I'm sure I scaled the recipe down when I made this, I do this with almost everything, since I'm just cooking for two.

I'm sure I had half that, but for us fat Americans, two eggs is a single serving. :laugh:

Yeah, I think the last time I ate just one egg was when I was about eight years old. When I make scrambled eggs, I use three large eggs. Same for an omelet -- I believe three eggs is typical of an American omelet.

I was in a Waffle House one morning, and a short, round man came in and ordered enough food for a family of four for HIMSELF. :eek: For a beverage, he ordered Diet Coke.:laugh:

CD

Yeah, I think the last time I ate just one egg was when I was about eight years old.
Around here, when I order one egg, I'd guess a good half the time I get a second egg for free, and I've had more than one waitress tell me, "Honey, you cain't jus' eat one aig!"

Yeah, I think the last time I ate just one egg was when I was about eight years old. When I make scrambled eggs, I use three large eggs. Same for an omelet -- I believe three eggs is typical of an American omelet.

I was in a Waffle House one morning, and a short, round man came in and ordered enough food for a family of four for HIMSELF. :eek: For a beverage, he ordered Diet Coke.:laugh:

CD
I'm in the one egg camp, but I am 5'2" and nearly 60 years old so I just don't need that many calories anymore. If I make an omelet, I use 4 eggs but I take 1/3 of it and give the rest to hubby (he is both taller and younger than I am).

Now when I was in my teens and 20s, I could eat several eggs, plus pancakes, bacon, ham, sausage, hash browns, and 2 pieces of toast, and I was a size 3 and weighed about 110 pounds. Those days are long gone, my friend.

Breakfast Pizza
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
3 TB extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
6 slices bacon
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
4 oz (1/2 cup) small-curd cottage cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 pound store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
6 large eggs
2 scallions, sliced thin
2 TBminced fresh chives

Directions
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Grease rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil.

2. Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate; when cool enough to handle, crumble bacon. Combine mozzarella and Parmesan in bowl; set aside. Combine cottage cheese, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon oil in separate bowl; set aside.

3. Press and roll dough into 15 by 11-inch rectangle on lightly floured counter, pulling on corners to help make distinct rectangle. Transfer dough to prepared sheet and press to edges of sheet. Brush edges of dough with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Bake dough until top appears dry and bottom is just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.

4. Remove crust from oven and, using spatula, press down on any air bubbles. Spread cottage cheese mixture evenly over top, leaving 1-inch border around edges. Sprinkle bacon evenly over cottage cheese mixture.

5. Sprinkle mozzarella mixture evenly over pizza, leaving 1/2-inch border. Create 2 rows of 3 evenly spaced small wells in cheese, each about 3 inches in diameter (6 wells total). Crack 1 egg into each well, then season each with salt and pepper.

6. Return pizza to oven and bake until crust is light golden around edges and eggs are just set, 9 to 10 minutes for slightly runny yolks or 11 to 12 minutes for soft-cooked yolks, rotating sheet halfway through baking.

7. Transfer pizza to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer pizza to cutting board. Sprinkle with scallions and chives and drizzle with extra oil. Slice and serve.

Recipe courtesy of Cook's Country

I wonder if I could sub out Greek yoghurt for the cottage cheese, or perhaps ricotta? I abhor cottage cheese!

I wonder if I could sub out Greek yoghurt for the cottage cheese, or perhaps ricotta? I abhor cottage cheese!
I think the ricotta would be ok, but it's the curds in the cottage cheese that make it work.

I'd say try it once, as no one was more against cottage cheese than me. I normally hate that stuff, and this is still the only way I'll have it. It works in this. All the other stuffs helps hide the nasty, I suppose. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom